The Lady Wildcat’s take on UMKC for game 2

0
102
K-State forward Breanna Lewis attempts to block an Emporia State player at Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 3, 2014 during the game against Emporia State. K-State defeated Emporia State 54-50. (George Walker | The Collegian)

The Lady Wildcats are looking to increase to a 2-0 record on the season after a dominating 81-55 score against SIU-Edwardsville Cougars in last Friday’s season opener.

K-State will be taking on the 1-0 UMKC Roos today in Bramlage Coliseum. In their first game UMKC went to Eastern Illinois University and took one away from the Panthers, 69-53.

The Wildcats lead the all time series against UMKC, 7-3 and have taken four-straight from the Roos. Last meeting was on Dec. 9, 2006 in Kansas City, Missouri, and the Cats took it 64-56.

Last year, the Lady Roos went 7-9 in the WAC conference, 11-19 overall. They look to turn last year’s woes around with an upset against the Wildcats.

K-State’s win against the SIU Cougars last week was much attributed to the distribution of the ball. The ladies ended the game with 19 total assists as five of the girls had at least 10 points; forwards Ashia Woods (11), Breanna Lewis (13), Ashley Jones (11), Erica Young (10) and guard Brianna Craig (10). Last time K-State had five players in double figures was last season on March 7 against Kansas.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Wildcat’s bread and butter was their ability to steal the ball as they ended with 18 total steals. Woods boasted six of them herself. In all, the Wildcats forced the Cougars into 25 turnovers.

Lewis contributed to that side of the ball with four strong blocks, giving her 48 in her career.

Coach Jeff Mittie looks to keep ferocious defense and fool proof offense up against UMKC a team projected to finish seventh in their conference this season.

UMKC’s head coach Marsha Frese is in her third season for the Kangaroos with an overall record of 21-40 so far with the club. She looks to try to pull of the upset in Manhattan against a confident Wildcat team.