Big 12 offensive power rankings: Boykin solidifies his top spot

0
86

No. 1: TCU QB Trevone Boykin

(Last ranking: 1)

Call him the best shot, that’s what he is for the Big 12 to have a Heisman Finalist. The junior signal caller for the Horned Frogs is exactly what someone thinks of a dual threat quarterback. Whether it’s showing his impressive arm strength by airing it downfield or getting into a track meet against defenses, he can hurt defenses multiple ways.

It also helps Boykin that he is on the best team in the conference. When he falls off during the game, his running backs or special teams can boost the team and make him look phenomenal, call it a perk of being a quarterback on a good team. On the other hand, averaging 359.7 total yards, Boykin rarely needs help from his teammates.

No. 2: Baylor QB Bryce Petty

(Last ranking: 3)

The senior, the Big 12’s most efficient passer, has his work cut out for him as he hopes for a miracle to get his team into the College Football Playoffs. Petty needs a Horned Frogs loss while also having to end the season against one of the conferences best defenses when he goes against the Wildcats to end the season.

Petty has one of the best groups of receivers around him, and has used them to perfection to keep his team in the running. Call him what you may, whether it’s elite or game manager, he is one of the best athletes that the Big 12 has to offer.

No. 3: West Virginia QB Clint Trickett

(Last ranking: 2)

While West Virginia has slowly fallen out of the Big 12 championship running, Trickett has shown that he still can get his team into winning opportunities. With that being said, the senior hasn’t had his best games in his last two outings, both losses.

November just hasn’t been Trickett’s month, throwing for one touchdown to three interceptions in the two games so far this month. Trickett needs to have his season finish off well against the Wildcats on Thursday, luckily for him, he can make magical things happen in Morgantown.

No. 4: K-State QB Jake Waters

(Last ranking: 4)

In his last game, Waters saw his team get blown out against the Horned Frogs, but what was he supposed to do when his leading rusher only had 21-yards? The Wildcats offense struggled heavily, even though Waters out-shined Boykin in the air, it wasn’t enough to help his team overcome the large deficit.

Waters is still a huge threat to any defense he faces. His ability to confuse defenses is what sets him apart from most defenses, allowing him to be able to throw the ball and catch most defenses off guard, his biggest strength.

No. 5: Baylor RB Shock Linwood

(Last ranking: Not ranked)

Linwood allows his team to get something going on the ground, which is pivotal to their success. While the top teams in the conference have quarterbacks that can easily get downfield, the Bears do not. Linwood gives the Bears balance, which is something they definitely need with a quarterback like Petty.

Leading the Big 12 in rushing yards, Linwood is the biggest threat that Baylor has on the ground. As anyone knows, the running game is not just about rushing yards, but also about the threat of touchdowns, and with 12 rushing touchdowns, Linwood is a true threat to reach the promise land at any moment.