K-State women’s basketball seeks 3-0 start to close homestand

0
80
Emporia State guard Kelly Moten blocks K-State guard Haley Texada's pass during the game against Emporia State at Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 3, 2014. K-State defeated Emporia State 54-50. (George Walker | The Collegian)

As head coach Jeff Mittie and company prepare for a Thanksgiving trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, they’ll look to take down Hampton, who has struggled mightily, on Friday night in Bramlage Coliseum.

Having lost 62-36 to Northwestern and 87-59 to Quinnipiac, the Pirates will look for some life against the Wildcats, after defeating them in double overtime last year at home. Sophomore guard Malia Tate-DeFreitas leads Hampton with a 21.5 per game scoring average.

However, a rebound performance could come anytime for the Pirates as they are coming off of an undefeated conference slate in 2013-14 and only five overall losses.

K-State is coming off of a commanding 65-36 win over UMKC and it has seen a diverse offense develop.

The Pirates will have their hands full with K-State, who is led by sophomore guard, Erica Young and her 11.5 points per game. Sophomore forward Breanna Lewis and senior forward Ashia Woods also are averaging double figures at 11 points apiece.

Mittie’s team has been impressive on offense, sinking 47 percent of their shots in the first two games.

The Wildcats have been almost equally as impressive on the defensive end of the floor, having garnered an astonishing 34 steals in only two games.

“What I did like was our defense,” Mittie said following the win over the Kangaroos. “We were playing pretty solid defense the entire game. We weren’t giving them anything easy. We played defense pretty solid for 40 minutes.”