Local, state talking points

WinterDance 2014 to feature variety of dance performances

The School of Music, Theatre and Dance is featuring various styles of dance, including jazz, tap and African at WinterDance 2014.

The K-State African Music and Dance Ensemble is performing a new piece called “Bamaya.” The performance is based on a social dance of the Dagomba culture in Northern Ghana, according to a K-State press release.

In addition, Julie Pentz, associate professor of dance, created a new jazz piece for the show called “Twisted.

The performance will take place Thursday through Saturday in Chapman Theatre at Nichols Hall. Seating for the event is $10 for students and $15 for others.

Convention to draw over 1,000 visitors to city

The Kansas Farm Bureau is hosting a two-day convention at its headquarters in Manhattan starting today. More than 1,000 farmers will attend the convention, according to Kansas First News.

The event is expected to focus on public policy issues that affect farmers and agriculture. Discussion topics will include the 2014 farm bill, agriculture advocating and water and agriculture technology.

American Farm Bureau Federation President Bob Stallman is expected to speak at the event. The event also celebrates the retirement of Steve Baccus, Kansas Farm Bureau president. The celebration will be held tonight and will be attended by U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts and Gov. Sam Brownback. On Tuesday, members will elect a new president.

State tax revenue increased in November, not enough to offset loss

The Kansas Department of Revenue reported that the state took in $3.1 million more in taxes than expected in the month of November. Although corporate and individual income taxes came in higher, sales taxes came in lower, according to the Topeka Capital-Journal.

November numbers came in above expectations, yet did nothing to offset losses suffered earlier in the year. In October alone, the state brought in $23 million less than expected. In April, May and June, taxes came in $334 million less than what state analysts originally projected.

The state expects a loss of more than $780 million for the rest of the fiscal year, ending in June 2015.