From the president’s desk

0
331

Dear fellow K-Staters,

Welcome back to the last few weeks of the semester! What a way to kick it off with a big time win over our in-state rivals to the east. We were glad to see that the early opening of the residence halls helped students get back in time for the game. Our seniors deserved a packed house in their final home game, and our students and fans delivered. On to Waco, Texas next week to play Baylor for a Big 12 Conference Championship!

One of the initiatives that we inherited from our predecessors, Eli Schooley and Jake Unruh, is the effort to bring a comprehensive mobile app to K-State. We’ve been looking at a range of developers to find the best fit for our needs. We expect to make a great deal of progress on the app this spring. We understand this may seem like a slow process, but we want to ensure we do this right and emerge with an app that will do everything we need it to do for years to come.

Every year, the city of Manhattan collaborates with K-State on projects that mutually benefit the city and the university. Funding for these projects comes from the City/University (Projects) Fund, an agreement that allows city sales tax revenues generated on campus to be used for campus improvements. In the meeting before Thanksgiving break, the Student Senate passed a proposal for the use of more than $600,000 of such funds. This proposal goes to President Kirk Schulz, who submits his own proposal to the city commission for approval.

Some of the projects we proposed funding for include nearly $400,000 in improvements to the K-State Student Union’s Forum Hall, about $200,000 worth of work on N. Manhattan Avenue, and a $50,000 sidewalk installation on the east side of Sunset Avenue between College Heights Road and Anderson Avenue. Many thanks to SGA’s Governmental Relations committee for their hard work on the proposal!

Finally, we’re happy to report that at their meeting before the break, the Kansas Board of Regents sided with students and denied proposed changes to Kansas statutes that would have lifted the requirement for a referendum before using tuition revenue to fund campus building construction and renovation. In many cases, students will be in favor of using their tuition dollars for this purpose – an example is the 2012 referendum passed to approve the upcoming Union renovation – but it’s important that we’re able to make our voice heard in the decision process.

Enjoy your first week back, stay warm, and try not to worry too much about the finals we have around the corner!

As always, Go ‘Cats!

Reagan Kays, student body president

rkays@ksu.edu

Cody Kennedy, student body vice president

ckennedy@ksu.edu

@KStateSBP_SBVP

Shelton Burch
Shelton grew up in the desert southwest. A native of Lancaster, California, he mostly grew up in south Phoenix, Arizona; Austin, Texas; and Colorado Springs, Colorado before moving to Kansas and graduating from Junction City High School. He started working as a news writer for the Collegian in 2009 before taking a three-year break from college. He returned to K-State in 2013 and has since worked for the news desk, feature desk, as a copy editor and now as a sports writer. He enjoys tap dancing, writing anything possible, reading court opinions and watching Arizona Coyotes hockey.