Local and state talking points

0
104

Wichita man attacked and robbed of his K-State hat

Police in Wichita are looking for a suspect who reportedly attacked a 19-year-old Wichita man and robbed him of his K-State knit hat.

The victim told police a man approached him over the weekend while he was walking and demanded his hat and shoes, according to the Wichita Eagle. When the victim asked why the man wanted them, he was reportedly struck in the face by the suspect. The man got away with the hat and left the scene in a white sedan with two women.

No arrests have been made in the case.

Patent issued for synthetic compounds developed at K-State

A series of synthetic compounds developed at K-State was recently awarded a patent. The compounds, called quinolines, act as a communication channel between adjacent cells that have lost communication due to disease. The compounds have applications for treating cancer, according to a K-State press release.

The patent was awarded to the Kansas State University Research Foundation. Duy Hua, distinguished professor of chemistry; Thu Nguyen, associate professor of toxicology; and Dolores Takemoto, professor emeritus of biochemistry, were the researchers behind the discovery.

Sentence upheld in child molestation case of local music teacher

Junction City resident Jordan Young’s appeal to overturn his sentence from a child molestation case was summarily dismissed by the Kansas Supreme Court today.

According to Little Apple Post, Young was sentenced to 294 months in prison after being convicted on one count of aggravated criminal sodomy and three counts of aggravated indecent liberties with a child last January.

Young, employed at Junction City’s Apostolic Academy, was charged in August 2012 after nine teenage boys reported that he had engaged in sexual acts or acted sexually inappropriate with them. Young pleaded no contest.

Judge allows publishing of ‘In Cold Blood’ files

In 1959, the Clutter family was murdered inside their home in Holcomb, Kansas. Fifty-five years later, the criminal investigation files that detail the murder will finally be available for publishing, according to an article by the Associated Press.

On Monday, Shawnee County District Court Judge Larry Hendricks reversed his earlier decision in 2012 to block publication of the files conducted by a Kansas Bureau of Investigation agent. Ronald Nye, of Oklahoma City, was sued by the Kansas attorney general’s office after he made known his intentions to publish the files.

Hendricks ruled that the First Amendment rights of Nye was greater than the government’s confidentiality of its investigation. The murders inspired the book “In Cold Blood,” written by Truman Capote.