Local, state talking points

0
69

Full court hearing for same-sex marriages in Kansas denied

The state’s ban on same-sex marriage suffered another defeat Tuesday as the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected the state’s request for a full court hearing of its appeal, according to a report by the Associated Press.

The U.S. Supreme Court earlier refused the state’s request to block U.S. District Judge Daniel Crabtree’s order to allow same-sex marriages. It’s expected that the U.S. Supreme Court will decide whether or not state marriage laws are unconstitutional.

Lawsuit claiming public schools promote atheism thrown out

On Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Daniel Crabtree dismissed a lawsuit that claimed science curriculum in Kansas public schools violated religious freedom by promoting atheism, according to the Associated Press.

The lawsuit was brought about by Citizens for Objective Public Education, a nonprofit group based in Peck, Kansas, as well as individual religious parents and taxpayers.

Crabtree ruled that the lawsuit did not claim specific injuries that would allow the case to proceed. Last year, the State Board of Education adopted guidelines for science classes that present evolution and climate change.

Kansas Farm Bureau elects new leadership

New officers and board of directors were elected Tuesday at the Kansas Farm Bureau headquarters in Manhattan, according to the Manhattan Mercury. Richard Felts, partner in Felts Farms, was elected president. The previous president Steve Baccus retired this year after serving for 12 years in the position.

Felts previously served as the organization’s vice president. He is a graduate of K-State, and holds a bachelor’s degree in animal science and industry. Jess Grossenbacher, of Bern, Kansas, was elected as the group’s new vice president.

Disease results in the death of three monkeys in Kansas zoo

Three tamarin monkeys died last week at the Hutchinson Zoo. The bodies were taken to K-State for examination where it was discovered they had died from Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis, according to the Little Apple Post. The rodent-borne disease is highly fatal to monkeys.

John Wright, director of the zoo, said the zoo is acting to ensure the rodent population will be controlled and the rest of the animals are safe.