Transitional pieces for that “in-between” weather

0
84

During this time of the year, deciding what to wear can be a challenge. With chilly mornings, warm afternoons and infrequent rain showers, always making sure you are dressed properly isn’t an easy task. That’s where transitional pieces come in.

What are transitional pieces?

The idea of a transitional piece is simple – an article of clothing that can take your summer pieces to fall. For those who aren’t quite ready to give up their summer clothes or who don’t want to go buy a fall wardrobe, wearing transitional pieces can be beneficial. Looking at your closet, you likely already own some of these key pieces.

Jackets

The most commonly thought of transitional piece is the jacket. While cotton hooded jackets are the standard, think something with a little more structure. Leather jackets, anoraks and denim jackets can bring comfort and style to your chilly morning walk to campus.

Jackets are typically your last piece to your outfit. Natalie Bennett, junior in nutrition and kinesiology, said she gets cold easily so she likes jackets.

“I like that they are an addition to my outfit,” she said. “If I am wearing something cute I don’t want to cover it up.”

Her personal favorite is the leather jacket because they are not too bulky and are still warm.

“They make a great transitional piece because you can wear them with so much,” Bennett said.

The classic cardigan

Another transitional piece is the classic cardigan. Cardigans come in a variety of different styles, colors, buttons or no buttons – there are styles for every personality. Cardigans are great because they can be worn with anything. Nothing is too dressy or too casual for them.

Button-up shirts

One last great transitional piece not many people consider is button-up shirts. Denim button-ups and flannels are pieces for the more fashion conscious people. They can be tricky to style, but if pulled off they have a great look.

Guys

For most men, the idea of transitional pieces seems like a foreign concept, but it can be quite easy to do. One simple piece to add to your wardrobe is the quarter-zip, pullover sweater. The pullover is a classic look but can be worn in neutral shades and bright colors. The best part is they can be worn over anything, making them great pieces for cold mornings. Another piece more and more men are wearing is the quilted vest.This is for the man who likes to take risks when it comes to fashion. Vests can be worn casual or with a preppy look.

All about layers & balance

Sherry Haar, apparel marketing and textiles professor, said summer to fall is about layering.

“Adding jackets over summer tops or layering summer tops over longer sleeved tops. The term ‘tops’ here is broad to include both woven and knits,” Haar said.

Samantha Bamford, senior in apparel marketing and textiles, said when it comes to transitional pieces it is all about balance.

“Mix long sleeve blouses and cardigans with shorts or tank tops with jeans,” Bamford said. “The key is not covering up too much too early.”

The weather in Manhattan is never consistent but by adding transitional pieces to your wardrobe, your outfits will be classic and put together. Even if it as simple as adding a jacket, these pieces are what take your wardrobe to the next level.