K-State faces UT-Arlington after lengthy break from home

0
127
K-State forward Breanna Lewis goes for a basket at Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 3, 2014 during the game against Emporia State. K-State defeated Emporia State 54-50. (George Walker | The Collegian)

After having their three-game tournament cut short in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, the Wildcats return home for the first time in nearly two weeks to face UT-Arlington.

The scheduling conflicts altered head coach Jeff Mittie’s plans for the trip.

“We got a lot of beach time and a little basketball,” Mittie said. “I’d prefer to get a lot of basketball and a little beach time.”

The Mavericks lost their last game against University of Texas-San Antonio, 55-63. K-State dominated UTEP 72-43 in the opening round of the Tournament of Hope last week. However, “facility issues” kept the Wildcats from playing their other two games against Santa Clara and LSU.

“We’ve got to just keep doing what we’re doing in practice,” sophomore guard Kindred Wesemann said about not allowing the layoff impact their play. “We’ve got to work hard and the biggest thing that Coach Mittie is still telling us is about not taking plays off.”

The last time K-State faced UT-Arlington was Dec. 14, 2008 when the Wildcats 73-63.

Sophomore forward Breanna Lewis leads the team with her team-high 12.3 points per game. After struggling to find her niche through her freshman season, the sophomore has grown as one of K-State’s most consistent scoring threats.

“I feel like everything is coming along and I am getting more comfortable as I play,” Lewis said. “I feel like my confidence really comes from my team and the support that they give me even if I make a mistake.”

Lewis and Texada both had 14 points in the game against UTEP.