Letter: Writer shares appreciation for positive media coverage

0
574

Thank you for your coverage of the protest in the Student Union. Although some news outlets have unfortunately decided to only focus on the negativity and riots, it is imperative that the public know that most Ferguson protests have been peaceful. With the advent of social media, many turn to the Internet to voice their concerns. I applaud these students for organizing a protest; it is easier to send a tweet or “share” something on Facebook, but it is also easier to ignore those posts than it is to ignore 50 students lying on floor of the Student Union. I am grateful that people my age realize this and I am even more grateful that they take it upon themselves to do something about it. I am also pleased to see that these students have brought a larger issue of race to light. The students showed a knowledge of other examples to support their decision to protest. In October, similar protests occurred on the campus of Missouri State University in Springfield, Missouri. Unfortunately, in this case, the protestors were harassed by other students. I would like to say thank you to the Kansas State family: those protesting, people who oppose their views or the indifferent population, for respecting fellow students. The protests from the Black Student Union showed that you can stand up for your views without being disrespectful and vandalizing. Amidst news coverage of burning buildings and riots, it is nice to see a more true representation of Ferguson protestors. The majority of protesters are concerned citizens exercising their right to peacefully assemble. Racial inequality is an issue that is not isolated to Ferguson or to Missouri and it was refreshing to see young people who are banding together to stand up for their beliefs.

Alyssa Lally

Senior in mass communications