Local, state talking points

0
170

Sunday morning crash near Manhattan results in one fatality

A 17-year-old boy died early Sunday morning when he lost control of his car and struck a tree. Wyatt Howe was driving a 1998 Camaro in the 7700 block of Anderson Avenue, about four miles west of Manhattan, when the accident occurred, according to the Little Apple Post.

His passenger Brent Kilbourn, 17, of Riley was declared dead at the scene. Howe was transported to Stormont-Vail Healthcare in Topeka for treatment of his injuries. Neither boy was wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident.

Kansas school counselor sentenced for rape of a student

Former school counselor Brooke Dinkel was sentenced Thursday to 13 years and nine months for raping a 13-year-old student. Dinkel, who worked at Smoky Valley Middle School in Lindsborg, Kansas, gave gifts to the boy and encouraged a relationship between the two.

Saline County District Judge Patrick Thompson gave Dinkel a lesser sentence than the state guideline of 25 years to life. Thompson said Dinkel’s psychological problems, minor criminal history and the fact the rapes were not forcible played into his decision.

Kansas HIV case to be heard in military appeals court

The appeal of a Kansas airman is going to be heard in the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, the nation’s highest military court. David Gutierrez was convicted in 2011 of violating a commander’s order to notify his partners about being HIV positive and to use condoms.

He was also convicted of indecent acts and adultery, sentenced to eight years in prison and stripped of his rank for aggravated assault. The charges of aggravated assault stemmed from his participation in swinger parties in Wichita, exposing multiple people to the virus.

Pottawatomie County Sheriff’s Office looking for stolen trailer

Between Nov. 23-24, an enclosed trailer was stolen from 809 Levee Drive. The trailer, worth approximately $5,000, measures 7 feet in width and 14 feet in length. The trailer has Kansas tags 728 BWW.

Anyone with information about the theft is asked to contact the Pottawatomie County Sheriff’s Office at 785-457-3353.