Local, state talking points

0
177

K-State professor publishes foot-and-mouth disease research

According to News and Communications Services, Michael Sanderson, professor of diagnostic medicine pathobiology, recently published his research in the impact and control of potential outbreak of foot-and-mouth diseases in livestock. Sanderson and Sara McReynolds, a former graduate student of Sanderson’s, worked to evaluate different vaccination strategies without destroying the livestock industry.

This research project also leads into Sanderson’s next project, “Secure Beef Supply Plan.” This project will be in collaboration with Iowa State University.

Social media roundtable meeting to discuss answer questions

According to K-State Today, any questions regarding social media can be answered in the Social Media Roundtable meeting this Thursday at 11 a.m. in the Hemisphere Room of Hale Library. There will be a discussion about ways to use social media content and make it better while creating connections with social media administrators through the K-State Social Media Roundtable LinkedIn group. Members of this group will have the opportunity to discuss social media and have access to helpful resources.

Burglary reported on Claflin Road

According to a Riley County Police Department press release, two laptops were reported stolen from a Manhattan home on Claflin Road on Monday at approximately 3 p.m. The total value loss was around $3,100, and no arrests have been made.

“We encourage anyone with information to either contact (the Riley County Police Department) or call Crime Stoppers,” Matthew Droge, public information officer, said.

Crime Stoppers can be reached at 785-539-7777 and the department at 785-537-2112.

Topeka police being reassigned from school district

According to the Topeka Capital-Journal, James Brown, Topeka’s chief of police, has begun reassigning officers working in the Unified School District 501 to other areas. There have been two officers reassigned at this point. The Capital-Journal said that there is an annual contract between the school district and the Topeka Police Department that has not been renewed or revised for this year, which concerns Julie Ford, USD 501 superintendent. The contract states that USD 501 should pay $225,000 for four officers.

Currently, 11 officers have been provided to the district in exchange for payment to the department totaling $366,000. Brown intends to reduce this number in the near future. Ford told the Capital-Journal that if Brown plans to reduce the number of officers working for the district, then she would like any changes to the previous contracts to be agreed to in writing. She would also like to cut the amount the district pays if the services provided will be reduced.

Virtual commencement allows global students, others to watch

According to K-State Today, students graduating with a K-State Global Campus degree, as well as their family and friends, will be unable to attend the commencement ceremonies on campus.

However, they will be able to view via the Virtual Commencement, which will be available through the K-State website. The virtual reception will feature addresses from Sue Maes, dean of K-State Global Campus, and April Mason, university provost and senior vice president, as well as provide resources such as printable graduation invitations.

Kelsey Kendall
Hi everyone! I'm a senior in journalism and cultural anthropology. My favorite things are storytelling, coffee and meeting new people. In that order.