Wildcats travel to Waco to take on No. 3 Bears

0
72
Junior guard Bri Craig attempts to shoot the basketball towards the basket at the K-State vs. UMKC game on November 18, 2014 at Bramlage Coliseum. The Wildcats beat UMKC, 65-36. (Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

Looking to snap a three-game losing streak, the K-State women’s basketball team faces a daunting task ahead of them going up against No. 3 Baylor Saturday in Waco, Texas.

The Lady Bears (17-1, 6-0) and K-State (11-6, 1-5) met earlier this season on Jan. 6 in Bramlage Coliseum, as Baylor overmatched the home team en route to a 74-44 road win.

Baylor enters Saturday’s game on a 16-game win streak after topping No. 8 Texas 75-58 Monday. Sophomore forward Nina Davis led the Bears in both scoring and rebounding with 25 points and six rebounds. Junior guard Niya Johnson contributed 12 assists in the win over the Longhorns.

Johnson leads the nation with 8.4 assists per game. Meanwhile, Davis is 11th in the nation and third among the Power 5 Conferences with 21.7 points per game. With those numbers, Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey has one of the best teams in the nation.

First-year head coach Jeff Mittie and his squad are coming off a loss to West Virginia Wednesday. Sophomore guard Kindred Wesemann led the way for the Wildcats with a career-high 19 points. Returning to action for the first time in over a week, senior guard Haley Texada was the only other Wildcat to score in double digits with 11 points. As a team, K-State shot just 31.5 percent from the field in the 63-51 loss to the Mountaineers.

The Wildcats are still looking to break the seal and earn their first true road win of the season. A big positive amidst the losing streak, though, has been forward Breanna Lewis and her shot blocking ability. Lewis is tied for 11th in the country for blocked shots per game with 3.5.

A win Saturday would surpass K-State’s win total from last season while cementing the program’s 150th Big 12 win and 250th road win.

K-State and Baylor tipoff Saturday at the Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas at 11 a.m.