Wildcats shock Cowgirls in overtime thriller

0
186
Senior guard Ashia Woods powers around a defender on Jan. 28 at Bramlage Coliseum. Woods scored a total of 18 points and brought down 11 rebounds in the game against OSU. (Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

Oklahoma State’s sophomore guard Lakota Beatty couldn’t believe it. Neither could K-State head coach Jeff Mittie.

Beatty’s desperation 3-pointer at the buzzer in overtime Wednesday fell through the basket, supposedly giving the Cowgirls a stunning 54-52 victory and K-State (12-7, 2-6) a fifth-straight loss.

However, the officials determined that the ball had not left Beatty’s hands in time. In the blink of an eye, it was K-State celebrating a thrilling 52-51 overtime win in front of their home crowd in Bramlage Coliseum.

“I think we competed harder,” Mittie said, “It was 8-1 rebounding in the first four minutes of the game, which is just ridiculous. You have got to compete harder and win those plays, and I think we did over those last 41 minutes. We have got to learn to do that more.”

There were some major improvements shown by K-State against the Cowgirls (12-7, 2-6) after losing by 22 points in Stillwater, Oklahoma two weeks ago. Senior guard Ashia Woods scored 18 points and pulled down 11 rebounds, while sophomore forward Breanna Lewis added 12 points herself.

Oklahoma State rallied midway through the second half to force overtime. Down 36-27, the Cowgirls, led by Roshunda Johnson and Liz Donohoe, mounted a 12-2 run to take the lead with eight minutes remaining.

Donohoe, who finished the night with 13 points and six rebounds, helped protect the one-point lead down the stretch with two blocked shots with under a minute left in regulation.

However, a foul sent Woods to the line with an opportunity to give K-State the lead. The first swished through the net. The second was no good. As a team, the Wildcats struggled from the charity stripe, completing just 14 of their 29 attempts.

Mishaps at the free-throw line nearly cost K-State in the third period, but clutch shooting from Lewis and senior guard Haley Texada in overtime secured K-State’s second win in conference play.

“I thought we really had some extra possessions,” Mittie said. “Ashia Woods with nine offensive rebounds is just absolutely huge. I thought Breanna Lewis made a real good move putting us up by four (points) in overtime. Just a lot of good stuff.”

Oklahoma State struggled with foul trouble early in the game. Three Cowgirl starters finished the first half with two fouls, as K-State went into the intermission with a 22-20 advantage.

Texada, who herself battled foul trouble in the opening 20 minutes, came up big for the home team in the second half. The senior completed back-to-back layups, one for a 3-point play, giving K-State a 5-point lead. She later hit the aforementioned free throw to seal the victory despite Oklahoma State’s long 3-pointer try at the buzzer.

K-State will look to carry over the momentum from this win, as the Wildcats now travel to Lubbock, Texas to square off against Texas Tech. Tipoff is set for 3 p.m.