Student senators come together for first meeting of 2015

0
80

Senators reconvened for the first meeting of the new year on Jan. 29. Senators discussed the upcoming SGA Hears You Week, funding for organizations and congratulating the Kansas State University marching band and the Crops team.

Mason Grittman, senior in mechanical engineering, attempted to introduce a bill for an allocation for Studio 101. An earlier allocation was presented for this architecture design studio and failed. After a hand vote and a roll call vote, the senate voted against it. Allocations were originally approved for architecture design studio 805 to travel to Los Angeles, California, next Thursday to network with professionals and display K-State’s architecture program.

“I don’t agree that, since we failed Studio 101, we should pass Studio 805,” Emily Beneda, junior in food science and industry, said.

In light of the former bill, senators chose to reverse their original decision to maintain consistency due to the similarity between Studio 101 and Studio 805.

“How do I explain to Studio 101 that they didn’t get funding if we gave it to Studio 805 for the exact same thing?” Grittman said. “I think we owe our constituents consistency.”

Meredith Funk, senior in communication studies, and Kylie Andres, junior in communication studies, presented for the Student Affairs Committee about SGA Hears You Week, which will be next Monday through Friday. The week will kick off with a purple egg hunt on Monday, tacos at Fuzzy’s Tacos on Tuesday, Where’s Waldo with Reagan Kays, senior in agribusiness and student body president; Cody Kennedy, senior in education and student body vice president; Abby Works, senior in chemistry and speaker of the senate; and Kurt Lockwood, senior in agricultural economics and speaker pro tem of the senate, dressed as Waldos.

Thursday will be Selfie with a Senator and each senator will be in a matching T-shirt. Friday will include a booth to help students register to run for SGA. Students who interact with the SGA twitter account and include #SGAHearsYouWeek will be entered in a raffle.

Grittman, chair of College Allocations Committee, presented a breakdown of how the general fund budget is spent. Thus far, senate has spent 41 percent of the total budget, equaling $28,540.

Commendations were given to the K-State marching band The Pride of Wildcat Land for receiving the Sudler Trophy winner in December 2014. The Crops Team was also awarded commendations for winning the national championship for the sixth year in a row. They have won the national championship 13 of the last 16 years.

Appointments were made to the student-centered tuition enhancements committee. Senate also approved appointment of Joseph Oaks, junior in political science, as the attorney general appointee for the spring 2015 term.

In new legislation, funding was considered for the American Choral Directors Association to travel to its national conference in Salt Lake City, Utah. The Open House fund was also introduced. An allocation was introduced to give funding to the creative arts therapy students to travel to North American Drama Therapy Association Central Region Conference.

Lara Blomberg, peer counselor for Powercat Financial Counseling, presented about PFC’s five-year anniversary celebration from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the K-State Student Union next Wednesday.

Filing to run for SGA is now open until Feb. 13. Interested students can contact Sarah Haley, senior in psychology and elections commissioner, for more information.