Wildcats stun No. 20 Longhorns to extend winning streak

0
179
Sophomore guard Kindred Wesemann maneuvers around a defender on Feb. 4, 2015 at Bramlage Coliseum. Wesemann burned the net, making eight three-point shots. The Wildcats had a victory over Texas, 66-57. (Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

Sometimes the first basket of a ballgame can be an indication of how a game will play out.

This was especially true for K-State and sophomore guard Kindred Wesemann on Wednesday. Wesemann hit her first of a career-high eight 3-pointers on the night to give the Wildcats an early 3-0 advantage against the No. 20-ranked Texas Longhorns.

Little did the crowd at Bramlage Coliseum know at the time, they were about to witness a shooting clinic from the Plesant Hill, Missouri sophomore and a 66-57 upset win for the K-State women’s basketball (14-7, 4-6).

“I was just shooting,” Wesemann said after the game. “My teammates were getting me the ball and I had some great open looks because they created the looks for me. I just shot them and knocked them down. It’s about time, I think.”

Wesemann finished with a career-high 25 points on 8-11 shooting from behind the arc. She was also a defensive standout with four steals on the evening.

Even Texas head coach Karen Aston was quick to praise Wesemann on her fantastic night.

“I though Kansas State did a terrific job of stretching the floor against us, and obviously (Kindred) Wesemann was terrific,” Aston said. “It is like we did not quite know she could shoot, but I promise you that we did. Credit to them, they played really well today.”

After two-straight nail-biters against Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, K-State head coach Jeff Mittie was relieved that his squad was able to win in a more comfortable fashion.

“It didn’t feel like 11,” Mittie said with a grin on his face. “It was nice to not worry at the end about a shot going in at the buzzer, because we’ve had back-to-back games where we had a shot going towards the rim at the buzzer. It was nice to see us put our foot on the pedal and finish it.”

Late in the first half, a cluster of K-State turnovers gave Texas the momentum and a slim halftime lead.

The second half was a different story for the Longhorns, though. Their transition game disappeared, and as a result their field goal percentage dropped from 46.4 percent at halftime to 30.6 percent by games end.

“Credit to them that they put their heads down and challenged us defensively, but we did not get as many stops as we needed,” Aston said.

Alongside Wesemann’s career night, sophomore forward Breanna Lewis finished with 10 points and seven rebounds. Her layup with under three minutes remaining in the game sealed the victory for K-State.

It was the type of clutch, late-game shot Mittie has been looking for from his team.

“We go into Lewis; I don’t know what the time was, but Breanna’s score late in the shot clock, I thought it showed great poise,” Mittie said. “Those are all big dagger type plays and we made them tonight.”

The Wildcats will look to continue their winning streak Saturday on the road in Norman, Oklahoma against the Oklahoma Sooners. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.