Equestrian unable to snap losing streak in Stillwater

0
258
Henley Adkins, sophomore hunter seat, takes a jump on Spot at the Sept. 25, 2014 meet against New Mexico at Timbercreek Stables. (Hannah Hunsinger | The Collegian)

Despite an award-winning performance from sophomore rider Taylor Schmidt, K-State Equestrian suffered its seventh-consecutive loss over the weekend in Stillwater, Oklahoma against the Oklahoma State Cowgirls.

“I know we are statistically in a slump right now, but it truly does not reflect our teams’ level of productivity right now,” K-State head equestrian coach Casie Maxwell said to K-State Sports.

After a decisive 4-1 defeat in Equitation on the Fences, K-State’s riders challenged the Cowgirls in the remaining three events, losing each by a 3-2 margin. Junior Danielle Kemper notched her eighth victory of the season along the way by edging out Cowgirls rider Ty Paris by a score of 71.5-70.

Schmidt’s riding was the standout performance of the weekend for K-State. The Fishers, Indiana native defeated Jorden Davis 86-74, which improved her record to 14-9-1 on the season.

“I was really confident in my ride, and my horse trusted me,” Schmidt said to K-State Sports. “I was able to pull off a good ride today and I’m happy with that.”

K-State has now wrapped up all road meets this season, finishing with a disappointing 0-7 mark away from Manhattan. The Wildcats’ return to Manhattan, where they carry an unblemished record, on Feb. 20 to face TCU at Timbercreek Stables. Riding starts at 10 a.m.