Women’s tennis drops pair of matches over weekend

0
194
Then-junior Amina St. Hill returns the ball during a match against KU on April 19, 2014 at the Mike Goss Tennis Stadium. (George Walker | The Collegian)

K-State women’s tennis (2-5) dropped its fourth and fifth consecutive matches to Fresno State and San Francisco this weekend.

Rainy weather forced K-State and its two opponents’ hand this weekend, as the Wildcats unexpectedly played Fresno State two days early on Friday, and only played singles in their dual match against San Francisco.

“We had a couple of rough weeks with tough travels and injuries, but the girls are working harder than ever and we definitely got better today,” K-State head coach Danielle Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “We look forward to finally playing at home next week.”

Fresno State captured the win Friday 5-2 over K-State. The Bulldogs were able to outlast K-State in doubles play with two quick wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles, 6-1.

K-State senior Amina St. Hill and sophomore Livia Cirnu rallied to provide the Wildcats with two wins after the team fell behind 4-0.

“Fresno State played a tough match today,” Steinberg said. “They outplayed us in the doubles and maintained their composure in the singles to capitalize on their lead. We needed to take some more calculated risks out there, both in doubles and singles, get after it a little more; however, I am happy with how we fought and worked, and I know that if we stay the course, keep believing in the process and keep our positive attitude, things will come together eventually.”

The Dons of San Francisco topped K-State 4-2 in the first-ever meeting between the two teams.

“Even though we lost, I think today was the best match we played since the season started, and I am so proud of the girls for stepping up and giving their best out there,” Steinberg said.

For a second-straight day, Cirnu and St. Hill carried the Wildcats. St. Hill completed a comeback victory (5-7, 6-4, 6-0) over San Francisco’s Genevieve McCloskey. She has now won 11 of her last 12 matches and has improved to 5-0 in dual matches this season.

Cirnu earned a 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 victory over Milica Hadzi-Tanovic. Cirnu has now won two matches in a row and is at nine wins on the season.

K-State returns home this week to face-off against Missouri State mid-week and UMKC and Emporia State over the weekend. The Wildcats will start their three-game homestand against Missouri State Wednesday starting at 1 p.m.