Campus and state briefs

0
156

Kays & Kennedy’s Lifeline 911 plans closer to fruition

Kansas lawmakers introduced bills last week that would provide minors in certain situations immunity from charges including possession and consumption of alcohol, according to a Feb. 9 SGA press release.

H.R. 2198 and S-133, are designed to allow minors to seek medical attention if they or an acquaintance are at a risk of alcohol poisoning. To be eligible, minors must initiate contact and cooperate with law enforcement at the scene, among other stipulations.

“My hope is the passage of the Lifeline 911 legislation encourages a friend to call the police and prevent a tragic loss of life,” said supporter of the bills Rep. Tom Phillips, R-District 67, in the news release. “Underage drinking and binge drinking are occurring at increasingly early ages. We must create a sense of urgency in young people to call for help, and not fear of being prosecuted for underage consumption.”

The bill must be passed by the House and Senate and approved by Gov. Sam Brownback to become a law. This process often takes several weeks.

Brownback to issue $1.5 billion in bonds for teachers, government workers

The House Pensions and Benefits committee will discuss Gov. Brownback’s proposal to issue $1.5 billion in bonds to help lower the state’s annual costs in funding pensions for teachers and government workers, according to the Topeka Capital Journal.

The Kansas Public Employees Retirement System is currently projecting a $9.8 billion long-term funding gap that the state has committed to eliminating.

The committee will discuss authorizing the bonds if the state would pay an interest of 5 percent. The bonds would allow KPERS to boost investments and lower annual contributions of tax dollars.

Former K-State linebacker appointed to the CFB Playoff selection committee

Texas Tech athletic director and former K-State linebacker Kirby Hocutt has been appointed to the College Football Playoff selection committee, according to the Little Apple Post.

Hocutt will replace former West Virginia athletic director, Oliver Luck, who accepted a position with the NCAA. Hocutt was a linebacker for K-State from 1991-94. Hocutt was appointed as the athletic directer at Texas Tech after stints at Ohio University and Miami. Hocutt was nominated by Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby and approved by the playoff management committee.