Women’s tennis hosts Missouri State

0
206
Senior Amina St. Hill returns a shot during practice October 22, 2014, at the Mike Goss Tennis Stadium. (Parker Robb | The Collegian)

No. 66 K-State women’s tennis (2-5) kicks off a three-match home stand this afternoon against Missouri State at Body First Tennis and Fitness Center.

Missouri State enters 1-2 on the season after topping IUPUI 6-1 in Columbia, Missouri on Saturday. This is the Bears’ 17th match all-time against K-State, but the first since Feb. 26, 2005. K-State won that meeting commandingly, 7-0.

K-State holds a 13-3 advantage in the all-time series, and a 56-27 record against teams from the Missouri Valley Conference.

K-State will require the leadership of senior Amina St. Hill and sophomore Livia Cirnu, who led the Wildcats with a pair of victories each in California last weekend. St. Hill has recorded a 5-0 record in singles play this dual-match season and has won 11 of her last 12 matches. She has 47 career match wins as a Wildcat.

Cirnu overcame a two-match losing streak with back-to-back wins last weekend in a rain-shortened weekend in California. She now holds a career record of 25-24 and has the third most wins on the team this season with nine.

K-State and Missouri State will begin play at 1 p.m. at the indoor facility in Manhattan.

Following today’s match, K-State will host a doubleheader against UMKC and Emporia State on Saturday. The matches will begin at 11 a.m.