Go from good to great for your Valentine’s Day date

0
191

Butterflies, laughter and a night full of conversation: these are the basic expectations of a decent date. Sometimes, though, it is the little things that take the date from good to great. This is a list of subtle hints and tips to make the date memorable for both people involved.

Attire

No, it is not all about looks; however, whether you are single or in a relationship, putting in time to look nice shows your fellow date that you care. Plus, Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to get a little extra fancy.

So guys, throw on a polo or a button up with a nice pair of jeans or slacks. It shows that you put that extra hint of thought into going out, rather than just wearing a T-shirt. If you like getting dressed up, use Valentine’s Day as your excuse to get a little cheesy and wear a suit or tuxedo for that nice dinner with your valentine.

Location

Location is part of what leads the date in the direction it’s going to go. For romance, the immediate thought is a fancy restaurant and a movie, but is that really what people want?

A first date is different than any other. On a first date, the idea is to get to know each other. So for students like Vib Bhatnagar, senior in computer science, the idea of going to a movie on a first date is counter-productive.

“Movies are a bad idea for a first date, because you don’t get the chance to talk to (your date),” Bhatnagar said.

The sentiment was shared by Jordan Jimerson, sophomore in elementary education. Jimerson said that the location of a first date is important for conversation.

“If you’re going on a first date, just keep it simple,” Jimerson said. “Don’t make anyone uncomfortable by making everything too fancy, just a casual place to sit down and get to know each other.”

On the other hand, if you aren’t new to the person you’re dating, then you have to keep the dates alive by finding different places to go each time. Although routine is nice every once and a while, try somewhere that neither of you have been and let it become an adventure. If you go to a restaurant and the food is awful, it can be something to chuckle about on the way home.

Conversation

Those awkward dead spots in conversation can really put a damper on the evening. A give-and-take conversation will make for a much more enjoyable night and allow for both of you to feel more comfortable.

Asking questions is a good way to get the conversation rolling, but if you’re the only one talking it may time to wait out a little silence in order to get some input from the other person.

Talia Falcon, junior in music education, said being genuine in conversation is the best way to contribute to the natural flow of things.

“My biggest thing is to just be yourself and if it flows, then it’s a good date, and if it’s not, then that’s okay,” Falcon said. “There’s nothing wrong with a bad date; it just helps you find a better one next time.”

All dates are different, but these general tips will hopefully help you celebrate an upcoming date, whether it’s for Valentine’s Day or not.

Emily Moore is a freshman in mass communications.

Emily Moore
My name is Emily Moore and I'm a senior majoring in English and mass communications with a minor in leadership. I love to read, write and edit. During my free time, I enjoy doing crossword puzzles, rock climbing and spending time with my friends.