Wildcats fall to Texas Tech in overtime

0
178
Sophomore forward Breanna Lewis makes a shot during the second half of the Kansas State vs. Texas Tech Women's Basketball game at Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 15, 2015. K-State was led by Lewis' 19 points, but overall ended the game during overtime with a loss 74-68 against TTU. (Cassandra Nguyen | The Collegian)

K-State’s first possession of the game Sunday indicated that the Bramlage Coliseum crowd would witness the same offensive display they’d just seen from the women’s basketball team Wednesday against TCU.

In fact, they did; just from the other team. The Wildcats (15-9, 5-8) allowed a season-high 54 percent field goal percentage and fell to Texas Tech 74-68 in overtime.

“I thought we did a great job understanding their zone and how we were gonna attack it; we found a seam,” Texas Tech head coach Candace Whitaker said after the game. “Last time (against K-State), we passed a little too much. I thought we did a good job of knocking down shots and countered what their zone does.”

After senior Ashia Woods started the ballgame with a basket, the Wildcats struggled to find an offensive groove. This wasn’t the case against TCU Wednesday when K-State put up 93 points, but Sunday’s cold shooting was the story of the game.

“I did not like us most of the day,” K-State head coach Jeff Mittie said. “I didn’t like our energy; I didn’t like our focus. We were pounded on the glass most of the day.”

The Red Raiders put the pressure on with two early 3-pointers within the first 90 seconds of the ballgame. K-State struggled to contain Texas Tech’s Rayven Brooks, who scored a game-high 26 points on 4-6 shooting from 3-point range.

“We had a good day,” Whitaker said. “Rayven Brooks shot it extremely well, and a lot of people stepped up and made shots when we needed them.”

The Wildcats went ahead for a moment in the first half, but struggled to regain the lead for a majority of the ballgame. Texas Tech led by single digits until 9:39 in the second half when Ivonne CookTaylor hit a 3-pointer to go up by 13 points.

K-State mounted a late comeback with success from the free-throw line. Senior guard Haley Texada finished with 11 points, but it was her play down the stretch — eight points in the final four minutes — that allowed the Wildcats to pull even at the end of regulation.

“I just got a lot of momentum and was just thinking to play hard enough to get a steal and go,” Texada said. “That was my mentality: to just push it and play defense as hard as we can to get the ball (back).”

With 35 seconds left in regulation and K-State on top 62-60 following a Kindred Wesemann free-throw, the Red Raiders had an opportunity to win or tie the game. After returning from an ankle injury midway through the second half, Texas Tech guard Amber Battle hit a mid-range jumper to send the game to overtime.

In the extra period, Texas Tech outscored the Wildcats 12-6 to earn the season split.

“I had a flashback to the last game when I had a game-winning shot,” Battle said. “I just tried to be patient and my post players made a good screen.”

K-State was led by sophomore forward Breanna Lewis’ 19 points. Woods added 14 points and Texada 11 points. Overall, five Wildcats finished with at least seven points on the afternoon.

The Wildcats return to action Wednesday in Austin, Texas against the Texas Longhorns. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.