Leadership school introduces new program based on Snyder’s 16 goals

0
512
K-State head coach Bill Snyder looks to the team during the 2015 Alamo Bowl game against UCLA on Jan. 2, 2015. (George Walker | The Collegian)

Head football coach Bill Snyder has partnered with the Staley School of Leadership Studies to create a new leadership program: the Snyder Leadership Legacy Fellows. It is available to committed juniors of any major going into their senior year of undergraduate school. Snyder Fellows will learn to apply valuable leadership skills to their education, family, career and community.

Kylie Sturgis, junior in public relations, is applying for the program “to challenge (herself) using tools that coach Snyder himself implements in his leadership style.” She said she thinks this program will allow her to explore a deeper meaning of leadership.

The centerpieces of this new program are Snyder’s 16 goals that he uses to lead the football program. These 16 goals have been successful for football and have real-life applications as well.

“We put emphasis on the 16 goals every day and we must apply each goal to every workout and practice we have if we want to keep getting better as a team,” Myles Copeland, junior in finance and linebacker for the football team, said.

The majority of the student body does not get to experience and use these 16 goals. This program, however, is not about football.

“The purpose of this program is to develop a family of leaders,” Marcia Hornung, coordinator for partnerships and instructor in leadership studies, said. “We really want to honor Coach Snyder’s leadership legacy: as a teacher, as a developer of leaders.”

This program, made possible by contributions from the Staley School and friends of Snyder, comes at no cost for students. There are, however, three mandatory meeting dates:

The first meeting is an overnight stay at the K-State Honors House May 27-28. Students will have an opportunity to engage in dialogue with Snyder and participate in a “fireside chat” facilitated by Bob Shoop, professor emeritus and co-founder of the Staley School. The second meeting will be Sept. 18-19, 2015, where Snyder Fellows will be recognized at the football game that Saturday. The third meeting will be April 2, 2016 to welcome the new class of Snyder Fellows.

Shoop and Susan Scott, associate professor emerita, published “Leadership Lessons from Bill Snyder” in 1998. The leadership values in this book are still referenced today. A copy, including a new section, signed by Snyder, will be given to each Snyder Fellow.

“The new section of the ‘Leadership Lessons from Bill Snyder’ book is going to take the issue of developing a vision and giving examples of how the process of developing the 16 principles came about,” Shoop said.

Shoop describes this program as a leadership development for life. Snyder Fellows will learn applicable leadership skills to help them transition from college into the next phase of their lives.

Thirty-five to 50 students will be accepted into the Snyder Leadership Legacy Fellows program. The program is not worth course credit, and applications are due Friday. For more information, visit k-state.edu/leadership/programs/snyder-fellows/ or contact Hornung at (785)-532-6085.