K-State returns home to face Sooners

0
118
Texas Tech sophomore guard Minta Spears blocks sophomore guard Kindred Wesemann as Wesemann looks for an opportunity for a pass to another team member during the second half of the game against the Red Raiders in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 15, 2015. K-State was led by Lewis' 19 points, but overall ended the game during overtime with a loss 74-68. (Cassandra Nguyen | The Collegian)

Oklahoma upset a three-game K-State winning streak two weeks ago in Norman, Oklahoma. Saturday, the Wildcats will have an opportunity to exact revenge and end a two-game losing skid in front of a home Bramlage Coliseum crowd.

K-State (15-10, 5-9) is coming off an 18-point loss Wednesday to No. 25 Texas. Sophomore guard Kindred Wesemann, who scored a career-high 25 points in the first meeting against the Longhorns, finished with just four points on 1-6 shooting Wednesday.

Senior guard Haley Texada and sophomore forward Breanna Lewis starred for K-State in the 76-58 loss. Texada finished with a team-high 17 points, Lewis with 13 points. Both shot 5-8 from the field.

Texas shot 53 percent from the field and out-rebounded the Wildcats 36-25.

Oklahoma (16-9,10-4) faired similarly against Iowa State Tuesday. The Sooners lost 84-76 in overtime and were out-rebounded 47-35 by the Cyclones.

Sooner guard Peyton Little led the way with 22 points on 8-17 shooting. Fellow guard Sharane Campbell hit five of her seven 3-point attempts and finished with 18 points to compliment Little’s scoring outburst.

In the first meeting between Oklahoma and K-State, the Sooners shot well from the field and fended off a late K-State run to win 66-58. Little led the way in that game as well with 19 points, 10 of those points coming from the free-throw line. Forward Kaylon Williams tallied 12 points herself on 6-11 shooting.

Wesemann led the way for K-State shooting 8-14 from the floor for the team-high 21 points. Lewis scored 11 points on 50 percent shooting, while also picking up an impressive eight rebounds and five blocks. She currently ranks second all-time in school history with 80 blocks this season.

Texada and senior guard Ashia Woods combined for 18 points, two rebounds and four assists in the eight-point loss two weeks ago.

K-State returns home to the friendly confines of Bramlage Coliseum having dropped just three games at home this season. The Wildcats are 13-13 all-time against Oklahoma in Manhattan. Head coach Jeff Mittie is 3-10 in his career against the Sooners.

Tipoff between K-State and Oklahoma is scheduled for 7 p.m. from Bramlage Coliseum Saturday.

In a previous version of the article, the time of the game was incorrectly stated.