Early bogies spell doom for Wildcats in Arizona

0
188

Despite tallying 10 birdies Monday, the K-State women’s golf team limped to a 12th-place, 26-over par 890 finish at the Westbrook Invitational in Peoria, Arizona.

The Wildcats finished three spots behind their ninth-place finish a year ago at the event.

“This was not the best event for us, but we did get three good scores,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Athletics. “This course sets you up for low scores, but we could not quite get there as a team today.”

For the Wildcats, freshman Connie Jaffrey and senior Olivia Eliasson each shot five-over par 221 to lead the team. Eliasson led the team in birdies made with four on the afternoon, three of which came on the front nine. Jaffrey finished the day with three birdies but had to fight to reach even par, as she bogeyed three out of the first five holes on the back nine to remain at even for the day.

Elsewhere, K-State’s struggles mounted. All six golfers finished over par for the tournament. Sophomore Katherine Gravel-Coursol and junior Scotland Preston combined for just one birdie in the final round.

However, plenty of teams struggled on the course, with only two schools finishing the two-day tournament below par. The Tennessee Volunteers captured the team title shooting 13-below par 851. Oregon finished three strokes back to secure second place with a score of 10-below par 854.

The only other Big 12 school that participated in the tournament was Oklahoma. The Sooners finished tied for sixth place shooting 10-over par 874.

Up next, the Wildcats will try to secure their third tournament win of the 2014-15 season at the BYU Entrada Classic. The tournament takes place on March 16-17 in St. George, Utah.