K-State rides to upset victory over No.1 Baylor

0
499
Henley Adkins, sophomore hunter seat, rides Romeo during the over fences part of the competition at the K-State vs. Baylor Equestrian meet on Feb. 28, 2015 at Timbercreek Stables. The Wildcats had a victory against #1 bears 10-9. (Cassandra Nguyen | The Collegian)

There are days in sports where everything seems to click for a team. For the K-State equestrian squad, Saturday was one of those days and much more.

In the final match of the regular season, the Wildcats upset the No.1-ranked Baylor Bears 10-9 at Timbercreek Stables. The win marked the 18th-straight victory at home and seventh home win this season to clinch an undefeated home record for the 2014-15 season.

“Our confidence was boosted from that win and being back at home,” K-State head coach Casie Maxwell said to K-State Sports. “We had a great crowd out here today. It was really high energy and kept the girls motivated. The cheering started off with screaming and continued at that pace all day long,”

Five seniors were honored for their accomplishments Saturday. It was a junior and sophomore, however, who stole the show and achieved Most Outstanding Performance awards.

Sophomore Henley Adkins earned a 83-69 victory over Baylor’s Jenny Mitchell in Equitation on the Flat. Junior Nicholle Hatton edged Baylor’s Mary Brown 71.5-69 in Reining.

The next competition for the Wildcats will be at the Big 12 Championships on March 27-28 in Fort Worth, Texas.