Campus and community briefs for March. 3

0
131

‘Devil’ brigade soldiers return to Fort Riley

The first group of soldiers from the 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, returned to Fort Riley earlier this week, according to the Junction City Post. The team is returning to Fort Riley following a nine-month deployment to Kuwait.

More soldiers are set to return in the next few weeks. The entire brigade is expected to be back by late March.

University researchers prepare for next form of flu

K-State researchers are preparing to combat the next potentially deadly flue strain as part of a $1 million grant from the National Institutes of Health, according to a K-State news release.

Researchers Juergen Richt, Regents distinguished professor of diagnostic medicine pathobiology and director of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Center of Excellence for Emerging and Zoonotic Animal Diseases, and Wenjun Ma, assistant professor of diagnostic medicine and pathobiology, are collecting samples from diseased pigs and analyzing whether or not the swine influenza could pose a danger to humans.

“Swine influenza viruses infect swine and cause a respiratory disease in pigs, but they sometimes have the ability to transmit from pigs to humans,” Richt said in the news release. “We hope that we are early enough in discovering these novel swine influenza viruses so that we can isolate and characterize these viruses and alert the respective authorities to control and eradicate them as soon as possible.”