OPINION: Sleeping all day and partying all night not a healthy lifestyle

0
470

You’ve all heard the saying, “sleep all day, party all night.” It has been sewn onto our pillowcases, embroidered into our T-shirts and pinned onto our Pinterest quote board.

Has anyone actually tried living a lifestyle like this though? While the reality is that most college students have probably pulled one too many all-nighters before a big test, this saying is promoting the opposite.

Fraternity parties, new friends, late nights at the library and, as cliché as it sounds, a never-ending supply of memories is exactly what college is supposed to offer. Movies like “Neighbors” make living this lifestyle seem not only appealing, but also possible to achieve without repercussions.

While it may look nice in the movies, drinking until the early hours of the morning, skipping class and ignoring all adult responsibilities does come with a price.

“Research shows that seven to nine hours of uninterrupted sleep is recommended for most adults to feel energized and productive,” Julie Gibbs, director of health promotion at Lafene Health Center, said.

Jordan Reinhardt, junior in communication studies, agreed that students need a certain number of hours of sleep. Reinhardt said she needs at least eight hours of sleep a night to function the following day. This isn’t always attainable, however, as Reinhardt gets less sleep depending on how demanding her week is in regards to academics and extracurricular activities.

In a survey of 50 random students, 44 percent of them credited their lack of sleep to a rigorous and demanding schedule – like Reinhardt.

According to The National Sleep Foundation, “a brain that is hungry for sleep will get it, even when you don’t expect it.”

Every year, there are over 100,000 car accidents due to sleep deprivation. There are many other problems associated with sleep deprivation, which include damage to one’s attention span, alertness and problem-solving skills.

“While a social life is definitely important, and college is a time to have fun, if that’s the purpose of being here then you’re in trouble when the real-world hits,” Reinhardt said.

Many students fail to recognize this at the beginning of college. Most college students believe in the misconception that they are invincible. False expectations, provided by the media and the carefree lifestyle quotes they live by make students truly believe that they can sleep all day and party all night.

“Yes, sleeping all day and partying all night is possible,” Gibbs said. “When you consider the consequences though, it is less than realistic.”

After looking deeper into the pros and cons of sleeping all day and partying all night, I was quite surprised to see my opinion change. I, like many college students, fell into the trap of believing I was invincible in my first semester at college. Although I think it is extremely important to go out of your comfort zone and try new things in college, I do not think your health is something to trade in.

Rather than continuing to follow this misconception, Reinhardt offered an alternative:

“Sleep all day? I’d pull it off if I could, but we only have so many days so we better make the most of them while we can.”

Kaitlyn Cotton is a freshman in biochemistry.

Kaitlyn Cotton
Hi world! I'm Kaitlyn Cotton. I'm a junior studying English with hopes of going to law school one day. I spend my days writing, reading and working for the Collegian. I have had articles published in the Kansas City Star, the Collegian, and most importantly- my parent's refrigerator.