Stylish spring break reading list

0
93

As spring break approaches, we all look forward to a week of therapeutic relaxation. Many of us, however, may feel unproductive during this week and feel like we should be working on something. What if there were a way to learn how to make dual prints work year-round or how to become a #GIRLBOSS?

Luckily, there are some great reads for those interested in fashion and style to make your week feel more productive.

‘Living in Style’ by Rachel Zoe

Rachel Zoe, a renowned stylist, styles A-list celebrities and has her own Bravo television show “The Rachel Zoe Project.” Her book, “Living in Style: Inspiration and Advice for Everyday Glamour,” is all about cultivating a life that is drenched in glamour.

According to an article by Elaina Plott on the Harpers Bazaar website, Zoe said she believes that “whether you’re a career girl, mother, grandmother, all three, you can live glamorously even without a lot of time to do it.”

Although some consider Zoe frivolous, she gives “lifestyle tweaks” that truly make a difference. These tweaks are useful, whether they be for interior design or how to make your wardrobe a little bit more glamorous. Many may remember Zoe from her Bravo show as a madwoman who was always very busy with nothing but work on her mind, but in this book she talks about how her life and style has changed.

‘#GirlBoss’ by Sophia Amoruso

“#Girlboss” by Nasty Gal founder and CEO Sophia Amoruso outlines how she turned an eBay vintage store to a multi-million dollar company. The New York Times said #Girlboss is a “D.I.Y. success manual written for women who were more prone to be voted ‘Most Unique’ than ‘Most Likely to Succeed.’”

Amoruso’s Cinderella story is an empowering, motivating and entertaining read. With life lessons on every few pages like, “The straight and narrow is not the only path to success,” there is a lot to be learned for those who want to become their own boss someday.

‘Refinery29: Style Stalking’ by Piera Gelardi and Christene Barberich

Street Style has become one of the most important outlets for those looking for groundbreaking style. “Refinery29: Style Stalking” is written by the co-founders of Refinery29 Piera Gelardi and Christene Barberich. This book is superb for college students who are looking for new ways to improve their look.

According to an article by Lauren Indvik in Fashionista, “Style Stalking” offers something different than many fashion books.

“Unlike most books about getting dressed, this one doesn’t encourage readers to max out their credit cards,” Indvik said. “Instead, it explains how certain, seemingly unachievable looks (a stylist’s black on black, or an editor’s ugly (and) pretty approach to dressing) can be constructed, largely from pieces already in readers’ wardrobes.”

The book, unlike most street style books, offers “basic training” on how to mix prints or even pull off unusual trends year-round.

‘In Color’ by Tory Burch

Tory Burch’s “In Color” is one of those books you just have to have sitting out; it’s much too beautiful to leave on the shelf. This book is about Burch’s inspirations and her adoration for hues, as well as bits of her personal life thrown in.

According to an article on the Business Insider website, Burch and her designs were even featured on the TV show “Gossip Girl.”

Overall, there are some great fashion reads for you to take with you on your spring break. Who can say no to a little self-indulgent reading?

Sonia Kumar is a sophomore in apparel, textiles and marketing.