Local, state talking points

0
136

Governor booed at basketball tournament game

Gov. Sam Brownback was the subject of audible booing from the crowd during the Sunday NCAA tournament game between the University of Kansas and Wichita State University in Omaha, Nebraska.

When live video of Brownback, who was sitting in the stands with his wife Mary Brownback, was featured on the big screen, the crowd began to boo. Brownback was wearing a T-shirt with both teams’ logos, according to the Wichita Eagle.

Brownback is a graduate of K-State.

K-State offering free electronics recycling

The university will accept old electronics for recycling this Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in parking lot D1, next to St. Isidore’s Catholic Student Center on Denison Avenue.

This is the fourth year for the annual event. According to a K-State press release, more than 50,000 pounds of electronics have been turned in since 2011.

Items that are acceptable include: computers, cellphones, printers, TVs of 27 inches or less, scanners, DVD players, VCRs and more. The university cannot accept larger TVs, appliances or microwaves. The total collected will be added to K-State’s recycling numbers for the RecycleMania contest.

Westar Energy giving $38 million in rebates to customers

Kansas electric utility Westar Energy reported taking in about $38 million more than it should have last year, according to the Wichita Eagle. In response, the company will take out about $1.26 per month this year from customers’ bills.

The additional money was collected from Westar Energy’s Retail Energy Cost Adjustment rider, a fee that covers the cost of fuel for the company’s power plants.

The company collected about $510 million for the fee, but only spent about $479 million, according to Rebecca Fowler, Westar Energy rate analyst.