Wildcats send three boats to San Diego for Crew Classic

0
147

K-State women’s rowing will send its top three boats to compete at the San Diego Crew Classic in San Diego, California this weekend.

K-State’s 1st Varsity 8 will hit the water first on Saturday starting at 9:52 a.m. The team’s 1st Varsity 4 and 2nd Varsity 8 are scheduled to begin at 11:04 a.m and 11:44 a.m., respectively.

This weekend’s regatta, or series of races, is the first multi-lane competition of the season for the Wildcats. K-State is coming off a sweep of Tulsa last weekend.

“Not only is it good experience for the younger rowers, but it’s great preparation leading up to Big 12s,” K-State head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports.

Sweeney has chosen to stick with the same lineups that earned the 4-0 sweep a weekend ago in Oklahoma.

“One would hope they would be sort of right up there with the experience they got,” Sweeney said. “I’m expecting them to compete for a high spot in the final, that’s what they have to be going for. And if they get a great run on the day, maybe they could top it — you never know. Their goal is to be one of the top crews there.”

Following the event, the Wildcats will head to Oak Ridge, Tennessee to compete in the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championship.