Campus briefs for March 30

0
155

K-State animal health leader chosen to lead NBAF stakeholder engagement and partnership development

According to K-State Today, Marty Vanier, K-State director of operations at the National Agricultural Biosecurity Center, was chosen by the Department of Homeland Security to take on the role of senior program manager for strategic partnership development.

In this role, Vanier will engage stakeholders in the development of strategic partnerships for the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility, or NBAF. Groups of stakeholders include government bodies, livestock producer, the animal health industry and educational institutions.

“Dr. Vanier’s background will help to catalyze innovation and future planning in support of NBAF by establishing and furthering partnerships with industry, end users and key stakeholders,” DHS NBAF director James Johnson said in the news release.

According to the press release, Vanier said she was looking forward to engaging NBAF stakeholders to help create a more secure food supply.

I want to help design new ways for folks in agricultural production to engage in this laboratory effort,” Vanier said in the article. “This is an opportunity to bring the end users of the products of the research that will come out of NBAF and allow them to assist in identifying the needs and issues that are important to them. They can be a part of the assessment of the threats and risks to agricultural enterprise in the U.S. and have a real stake in the outcomes of the research in the laboratory.”

NACADA celebrates 25th anniversary with K-State

According to K-State Today, the National Academic Advising Association: The Global Community for Academic Advising, or NACADA, is celebrating its 25th anniversary of being headquartered at K-State. NACADA established its executive office at K-State in 1990, with the College of Education hosting the institution.

“The College of Education provided the association with a home in the beginning so the association could support its members through a professional staff that managed the financial growth as well as the coordination of the annual conference,” Charlie Nutt, NACADA executive director, said. “It is only through the support of and collaboration with the College of Education that NACADA has been able to not only expand its professional development opportunities for academic advisors across the globe, but also to support the field of academic advising in its expansion of research and publications focused on the profession.”

NACADA is noted for being the first organization to hold a conference on academic advising in the Middle East, and event which took place in 2014. The organization has more than 12,000 members worldwide in a wide range of education-based professions.

Baylor University names Gary Mortenson new dean of the School of Music

Gary Mortenson, director of the School of Music, Theatre and Dance, has accepted a position at Baylor University as their new dean of the School of Music.

Mortenson has taught at K-State since 1989. In May, he will be awarded the Presidential Award for Outstanding Department Head at the university. Mortenson will take over his new position July 1, according to a Baylor University press release.