Campus and city briefs

0
142

North Manhattan Avenue construction to impact drivers

According to a news release from the City of Manhattan, construction on North Manhattan Avenue will cause changes in traffic flow starting Thursday.

Keen Street will close for construction work beginning Thursday, changing the Blue Hills neighborhood entrance to Blue Hills Road rather than North Manhattan Avenue.

Lane reductions on North Manhattan Avenue will continue throughout the project, which is expected to continue until August 2015. Road construction to the area will widen North Manhattan Avenue, which will allow for additional turn lanes at the Research Park Drive intersection and will improve overall traffic flow from Kimball Avenue to Research Park Drive when completed.

The road improvements will cost $1.8 million.

College of Veterinary Medicine establishes new center to combat diseases

According to a April 3 K-State News and Communications Services news release, the College of Veterinary medicine is establishing a new center of excellence to focus on controlling infectious vector-borne diseases in animals and humans.

The Center of Excellence for Vector-Borne Diseases will be launched publicly on April 8. The center will be for interdisciplinary research with a focus on pathogenesis, surveillance and disease prevention and will be led by Roman Ganta, professor of diagnostic medicine and pathobiology.

“The (Center of Excellence for Vector-Borne Diseases) will prepare us well to build a nationally and internationally recognized program to combat the emerging threats of vector-borne diseases in the U.S., including bacterial, parasitic and viral diseases,” Ganta said in the news release. “The center also will strive to synergize with the soon-to-be-established federal facility in Manhattan, the National Bio and Agro-defense Facility, or NBAF. The research that we will conduct will serve a role in helping to advance the goals of the K-State 2025 mission to become a Top 50 public research university.”

Goals of the center include establishing a research-based tick-rearing facility, producing educational programs and workshops that revolve around vector-borne diseases, and developing resources that will aid further research.

Investigation of trench collapse results in revocation of city employees’ certification

The Kansas Department of Labor and the City of Manhattan have completed an initial investigation of the death of William Albert Wiske, 30, of Wamego.

Wiske was killed when a trench collapsed on him in February while he was repairing a water main at the intersection of Scenic Drive and Fossilridge Drive, according to Little Apple Post.

The city of Manhattan revoked certification of two employees after the investigation – which comprised of interviews, reviews of emergency personnel reports and personal observations – concluded adequate safety precautions were not in place at the time of the accident.