Fort Riley suicide bombing plot leads to two arrests

0
717

A suicide bombing plot targeting Fort Riley was foiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigations last Friday morning, according to an FBI press release.

John Booker Jr., 20, of Topeka, was arrested and charged with attempting to damage property with explosives, attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to provide support to the Islamic State.

An FBI informant met with Booker Friday morning near Junction City, according to the Topeka Capital-Journal. Booker was to believe the informant was going to assist him in launching a suicide bomb attack on the base.

According to the federal indictment, Booker and the informant drove an alleged car bomb to a spot near the base that would allow him to enter undetected and kill a large number of soldiers.

At a news conference in Kansas City, Kansas, U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom said Booker wanted to carry out violent jihad.

“I want to assure the people of Kansas, and this nation, that anyone that seeks to harm this nation and its people will be brought to justice,” Grissom said at the press conference.

Calls to the U.S. attorney’s office were not immediately returned.

Update: Friday evening, Grissom announced a second arrest related to the case. Alexander Blair, 28, of Topeka, was charged with one count of failing to report a felony. According to the criminal complaint, Blair knew about the plot and he was interviewed immediately after Booker’s arrest.