Wildcats fall to Georgia in NCEA quarterfinals

0
325
Taylor Schimidt, sophomore hunter seat, rides Flynn during the over fences part of the competition at the K-State vs. Baylor Equestrian meet on Feb. 28, 2015 at Timbercreek Stables. The Wildcats had a victory against #1 bears 10-8. (File Photo by Cassandra Nguyen | The Collegian)

K-State equestrian lived to see another day Thursday after earning a comeback victory over SMU in the opening round of the NCEA Championships. The Wildcats, however, could not repeat the same feat against No. 1 Georgia in the quarterfinal round Friday, losing to the Bulldogs 10-5 to end the 2014-15 season.

“When you step back and look at it, only four of our 13 riders have ever competed at the National Championship before,” head coach Casie Maxwell said to K-State Sports. “I think they preformed very well in high-pressure situation. They definitely ended their season on a high note.”

The Wildcats started off right where they left off against SMU by going up early with a 3-1 lead in the Reining event. From there, though, Georgia captured the last three events of the competition to secure the overall victory.

“While some of the results did not reflect the rides we had, I think the girls rode with all their hearts and ended the year with a bang,” K-State assistant head coach Anna Becker said.

K-State’s season ends at a record of 9-9, extending the program’s streak of .500 seasons or better to four.