OPINION: A life of hunting is not a wrong one

6
208

From the clothes we wear to the food we eat, our daily lives would be completely changed if it weren’t for hunting. To me, hunting is a way of life and an animal’s purpose is to serve the needs of the people.

It is because of these reasons that I believe hunting animals is not wrong.

Collisions with animals, mainly deer, can be seen through sharp rises in insurance claims – especially in the fall. The average cost of an animal-strike claim for 2001-14 model cars under comprehensive coverage from 2004-13 was $2,730, according to the Nov. 6, 2012 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Highway Loss Data Institute report, “Colliding with Deer is Costly, Especially for Some Vehicles.”

State Farm Insurance estimates that between July 1, 2001 and June 30, 2012 there were approximately 1.23 million deer-vehicle collisions in the U.S that cost over $4 billion in vehicle damage, according to the Oct. 24, 2012 Insurance Journal article, “Car and Deer Collisions Cause 200 Deaths, Cost $4 Billion a Year,”

The 2007 Blackwell Publishing text “Key Topics in Conservation Biology” identifies three different categories of hunting: subsistence, commercial and sport. Subsistence hunters kill animals for food, skins and bones. In early history, it was essential to providing basic necessities.

Commercial hunting is often referred to as an economic activity. It begins with the subsistence hunter who sells the surplus of an animal to a specific region. Many farmers have been encouraged to raise domestic animals with their livestock, because of the commercial value that game birds and mammals possess.

Sport hunters kill animals for the enjoyment of it, not for food or profit. Sport hunting is most controversial out of all the different types of hunting. PETA has said they believe that sport hunting is a play on words to ignore the fact that it is really just a “cruel, needless killing spree.”

“To me, it’s not about killing or competing against the animals because I care about the wildlife,” Grant Srajer, freshman in business administration, said. “I enjoy hunting because it is fun seeing how different types of wildlife go about their life. I love getting up early in the morning and experiencing nature!”

Hunters are passionate about their pastime, and they spend passionately too. They are a driving economic force, making them one of the most prominent and influential of all demographic groups.

I am not ready to give up my daily necessities, like fur coats that keep me warm in the winter, leather work gloves and protein from meat that the hunters provide. Are you?

Makenzie Deines is a sophomore in agricultural communications and journalism.