Wildcats make best of cancelled home meet, nab 8 first-place finishes in Lawrence

Junior thrower Dani Winters won the shot put competition at the Rock Chalk Classic track and field meet in Lawrence May 2, 2015, by over seven feet, throwing a new personal best of 17.21m. (File Photo by Parker Robb | The Collegian)

For the second time this season, the K-State track and field team traveled to Rock Chalk Park in Lawrence and put on a show for fans, earning eight first-place medals out of 19 overall top-three finishes.

On the women’s side, five first-place marks helped the team finish third in the one-day tournament. The Wildcats trailed in-state rivals Kansas and Wichita State; 20 points behind the Shockers for second, but 102 points behind the Jayhawks for first place.

The men’s team racked up 88.50 points for a fourth-place finish, 72.5 points behind the Shockers for first place.

In the field, junior thrower Dani Winters, who was an Indoor All-American in shot put, had a career day, throwing an outdoor personal best mark of 17.21 meters, which was good for second-best in school history.

Up next for the team is their final regular-season meet of the season, the Nebraska Invitational, on Saturday.