Cultural Studies class hosts fair as final project

0
173

Two classes of the English 315 course, Cultural Studies, combined together Tuesday for a fair dedicated to showing their final projects for the class.

The Cultural Studies course is dedicated to studying the way culture is presented through different mediums such as television, music and advertisements. The class also addresses students feelings toward society and whether culture distorts their view. Topics discussed in the class include subcultures, body image gender and commodities.

“After taking this class, I understand more about subcultures,” Jennie Smithies, senior in apparel and textiles, said. “It is not aways about Caucasian people or males over 45.”

The fair was held in the K-State Union from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. and had 22 projects on display. The students were allowed to choose the topic they would present on as long as it tied to a theorist or theory. Along with presenting their finished projects at the fair, students also wrote a paper over the process. Most of the students utilized poster boards to display their topics.

Don Hedrick, professor of English, and English Department graduate students walked around the room to judge students’ work and learn more about their topics. The project they deem the best will win the fair and receive an “A.”

The projects on display at the fair were over a multitude of different topics; they varied from the subculture of groupies to the subculture of feminism. There were also projects about child labor, fraternities, gambling, sports culture and even Pink Floyd.

Chelsea Winter, freshman in elementary education, did her project over “Rethinking the Bikini Body.” She used Susan Bordo’s theory on how society expects women to put a violent assault on their body for fat to be eliminated. She also used fitness instructor Kayla Itsines’ book “Bikini Body Guide” as an example of how it is a lot of work to get the perfect bikini body. The book features workouts and meal plans for readers to achieve their ideal bikini body and Winters herself tried it out before she stopped because of her love for food.

“I think this theory is important because people need to be comfortable in their own body, but I think it needs rephrasing,” Winters said. “It needs to be about doing this for yourself.”

Max King, senior in criminology, did his project over something much different than bikini bodies he did his over the subculture of skateboarding.

King felt that skateboarding displayed the subculture theory well because most establishments ban skateboarding on their premises and the act is widely not respected. Along with his poster board, King had a video over the theory of skateboarding.

“I used to skateboard so I felt like it was something interesting to do,” King said.

Jennifer Malmgren, sophomore in marketing, did her project over media’s impact on women’s bodies and how they’ve changed over the years. She showed images of women that prove the standards set by society at different times. Her project was centered around the essay “Reading the Slender Body,” by Susan Borolo; she chose the essay because she could relate to it.