Lightning sparks damage to Manhattan home

0
477
Firefighters from the Manhattan Fire Department broke through the side of the house to help put out the fire caused by a lightning strike at 421 Brookridge Drive in Manhattan on June 14, 2015. (George Walker | The Collegian)

Just after 4 p.m. Sunday, a lightning strike started an attic fire in a single family home at 421 Brookridge Drive. The homeowners were out of town when the fire broke out.

An unidentified neighbor called the Manhattan Fire Department after a fire alarm in the neighbor’s house detected smoke.

According to Ryan Almes, MFD deputy chief, firefighters contained the second alarm fire within 20 minutes. The total loss is estimated at $100,000.

Joe Burfict, a neighbor, said his own home was struck by lightning last year.

“This corner (of the neighborhood) has been a victim of lightning,” Burfict said. “(The lightning) hit so hard, it lit up my living room.”

In a public release, Almes said the owners will be displaced due to the amount of damage to the home.

“This is a hard thing to come home to,” Burfict said.

Jamie Teixeira
My name is Jamie Teixeira and I am a senior English and journalism with a minor in Leadership. I am the president of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society, a tutor at the K-State Writing Center,and a member of the K-State Tap Dance Ensemble. My future plans are to become an editor or publisher of children's literature. Outside of school I love to read and cuddle with my kitten, Bert.