Off the Field with Barry Brown and Kamau Stokes

0
777
(Photo Courtesy of Leah Millis | Tampa Bay Times)

Earlier last week, The K-State Collegian sat down with incoming K-State men’s basketball guards Barry Brown, of St. Petersburg, Florida, and Kamau Stokes, of Baltimore, Maryland, to see how they’ve been adjusting since arriving on campus 10 days ago. The freshman roommates come as part of a six player (so far) 2015 class.

Q: How have the first couple of days been for you?

Brown: Oh man, the first couple days have been hard. 6:30 a.m. workouts, weight room. It’s different than what I’ve been used to. Can’t even really speak on it, it’s tough, my body hurts. Way different than high school.

Q: What are your thoughts on your new teammates?

Brown: We’re all one team now. I feel like we’re coming together real quick and gelling real nice. We’re about to be a family in a little bit.

Stokes: This team is made of guys that want to win, and I need that on my team. It’s a great group of guys, socially. We handle our business in the classroom. Coach (Bruce) Weber has really helped up gel us together. We have that locker room in there and we spend a lot of time in there together. So we talk, we laugh, we hang out. So overall it’s pretty good.

Q: What are your thoughts about last year’s team’s struggles?

Brown: I heard some things that happened on the team (last year) … I know some things that happened on the team (last year). Players control their own destiny and some players last year … they didn’t fulfill what they were supposed to do. They weren’t doing what was in the best interest of the team. If you just follow the rules and listen to Coach Weber and the staff, then everything will be fine.

Q: Who on the team has kind of stepped up and shown you the ropes?

Brown: One of the players that’s already graduated, J.O. (Jordan Henriquez, 2012 alumnus). Yeah, he’s really been talking to me and showing me around. He’s shown me around town, told me stuff I needed to do so I don’t get yelled at so I don’t have to run – just small stuff.

Stokes: I would say (Justin Edwards, senior guard) has been helping us with the workouts and everything. Telling us that we need to get in that 30 degree cold tub, that’s a killer right there. Also Rodney McGruder (2012 alumnus), he’s back. So he talks to us a lot and that helps.

Q: Barry, Coach Weber has said that you’re kind of “coming in under the radar.” What’s your response to that?

Brown: I guess he was talking about the ranking from when I was in high school last year. I mean, it really didn’t matter. I’m still here playing Big 12 basketball. So, if I was under the radar then people missed me. They’ll see.

Q: Kamau, what was it about K-State that made you want to come here?

Stokes: It was very family-oriented, that was the main thing that stuck out to me, as well as the education. We have a great support system here. Other than that Coach Weber and Chester Frazier (assistant coach), he’s from Baltimore so you can’t know better than that.

Q: Barry, are you a video game guy at all?

Brown: Yeah I play video games. Me and Kamau are supposed to buy a PlayStation at the end of the week. A PlayStation 4. So we’re going to get probably “Call of Duty,” the newest one, “NBA 2K,” Madden and I think he said something about “Dragon Ball Z” or something like that. But I mean yeah, I like video games.

Timothy Everson
Tim Everson was born in Wichita, KS in 1994. Before fifth grade he moved up to Manhattan for one year before settling in Riley, KS where he graduated from Riley County High School in 2012. Tim has worked for the Collegian since spring of 2014 and took over as Sports Editor during the summer of 2015. Tim loves sports, music, movies and good food when he can get it.