OPINION: What seniors are telling their freshman year self

0
344

K-State’s orientation is a chance for incoming students to pick out classes and majors, all the while learning the keys to college success. What do people deem to be successful, though? The harder the major, the more successful you are? The more friends you make, the better your college career? Many incoming freshmen will struggle with these tough questions that come along with attending any college.

We all have regrets. From who we date to what we ate, we are constantly reminded of our mistakes. Now is your chance to bypass some of those. As a recent college graduate, I can tell you firsthand that I made more than a handful of mistakes my freshman year. It is my goal to help you steer clear of these and ultimately help you relax about those decisions you’re making that seem so scary at orientation but aren’t that big in the scheme of things. Here are a few graduating seniors’ take on what they would want their freshman year self to know and are passing it along to you.

What advice do you have for your freshman year self?

“Don’t wish away the hard stuff, the hard classes and just tough times,” Lizzi Petite, senior in management, said. “It’s all part of growing.”

“Don’t skip any classes,” Blake Pickett, senior in mass communications, said. “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should, and be on top of things way before they’re due to give yourself more free time in the end.”

“Network,” Amelia Govert, senior in food science and industry, said. “Meet as many people in the dorms as possible, form relationships with your teachers, advisers and classmates. Knowing people will benefit you now or in the future.”

“Don’t drink the punch, it’s dangerous,” Kayd Kohler, senior in management, said.

“Don’t sweat the small stuff,” Max Williams, senior in kinesiology, said. “It’s not worth it.”

“Start off right,” Jake Kubick, senior in animal sciences and industry, said. “Don’t get into a bad habit starting off like, ‘I’m just here to party.’ The main thing is get your college GPA up first so you’re not rushing through things your senior year.”

Kelly Iverson is a recent graduate in mass communications.