#Hashtag: Oil Spill Settlement

0
86

More than five years ago, on April 20, 2010, an oil refinery explosion on the Deepwater Horizon, a drilling rig owned by the energy company British Petroleum, caused an unprecedented environmental disaster in the Gulf Coast. Today a settlement was announced for monetary reparations for this disaster.

This settlement is going, primarily, to be split amongst the affected Gulf Coast states.

While it still has to be approved by the courts, reactions to the news are divided. Some are happy to hear the debt being paid would be the largest environmental fine in U.S. history, and the states are surely glad to get the money, but quite a few others think it’s still not nearly enough, and that BP got off easy.

Here’s how the settlement breaks down.

Jonathan Greig
Hi, I’m Jonathan. I graduate this December, majoring in Anthropology, with minors in Creative Writing and Political Science. After that … we’ll see. Maybe graduate school in environmental anthropology. Maybe I’ll finally pursue my old childhood dream of becoming an infomercial host. It’s up in the air. Some of my interests and hobbies include devout sports fanaticism, religious study, and composing country songs that serve to explain the unearthly amount of disdain I have for country music. My band’s called Catfish Hurricane, you should check us out. Well, actually, you shouldn’t. I love writing, which is how I accidentally stumbled into this job. This stumbling into good things is my plan for life in general.