#Hashtag: South Carolina lowers Confederate Flag

0
195

After several weeks of rhetoric having been exchanged from both sides, the Confederate battle flag was lowered at the South Carolina statehouse in Columbia, South Carolina on Friday.

This action from South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley comes almost three weeks after a racially-charged shooting in Charleston, South Carolina saw the death of nine African-Americans at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church on June 20.

The reactions from people around the country vary, but the majority are glad to be rid of what those in opposition to flag see as a symbol of racism and hatred.

While others who cling to the flag as a symbol of heritage are disgusted with what they see to be an overreaction to just one isolated shooting.

With the flag now down, many supporters of it’s removal want the focus to be on fighting the idea of racism, not the symbols of it.

Tim Everson was born in Wichita, KS in 1994. Before fifth grade he moved up to Manhattan for one year before settling in Riley, KS where he graduated from Riley County High School in 2012. Tim has worked for the Collegian since spring of 2014 and took over as Sports Editor during the summer of 2015. Tim loves sports, music, movies and good food when he can get it.