#Hashtag: Fox Debate Drama

0
2891
Photo courtesy of Gage Skidmore

It’s almost here, everyone’s favorite season of the year. No, not autumn, and no, not football season either … it’s debate season. And it kicks off Thursday, August 6 with the first debate between the Republican candidates on the Fox News Channel.

As overwhelmingly joyful as everyone must be for this wonderful time, debate season has not started without a hitch. An issue this year is that the Republican field of viable candidates for nominee is relatively overstocked. Depending on who you ask, there are as many as twenty respectable candidates running for the GOP nomination, and certainly no less than fifteen. The problem with that being that it makes for one crowded debate stage.

So Fox News decided that for the first debate, the one they’re organizing, they would draw the line at the top ten candidates according to the average of the five most recent legitimate national polls. This line is left somewhat vague, garnering much criticism, from all sides, including from the camps of would-be left out candidates.

Fox just recently announced that it was now lowering the threshold for participation, no longer requiring that anyone must be polling with a 1 percent average, and has set up a pre-debate event for the same evening including the candidates that will not make it into the real thing.

Amongst all this confusion and outrage, there is another factor which makes this night of television and politics a must-watch:

And that, according to every major poll that’s out right now, means this:

Hi, I’m Jonathan. I graduate this December, majoring in Anthropology, with minors in Creative Writing and Political Science. After that … we’ll see. Maybe graduate school in environmental anthropology. Maybe I’ll finally pursue my old childhood dream of becoming an infomercial host. It’s up in the air. Some of my interests and hobbies include devout sports fanaticism, religious study, and composing country songs that serve to explain the unearthly amount of disdain I have for country music. My band’s called Catfish Hurricane, you should check us out. Well, actually, you shouldn’t. I love writing, which is how I accidentally stumbled into this job. This stumbling into good things is my plan for life in general.