‘Think About It’ training required for all students

0
698
Haley Hamiliton sophmore in elementary education reades instructions on the ASAP course training program in Goodnow Hall on Aug. 26 2015. K-States Alcohol & Sexual Assault Prevention is used for infroming students on the importance of thinking before you take action. " I did ASAP because it helps increase community welfare." Hamiliton said. (Diamond Sampson | The Collegian)

By Monday, students were to have completed a substance abuse and sexual violence awareness program called “Think About It” as part of the web-based Alcohol and Sexual Assault Prevention Program, or ASAP.

According to the ASAP page of the K-State website, ASAP is designed to help students make healthy decisions and inform them of state laws and university policies regarding sexual violence by using different scenarios that students might endure.

The course not only provides information for survivors, but also gives bystanders and friends of survivors knowledge of how to help.

“The overall benefit (of the information) will change our culture over time,” Scott Jones, associate dean of student life and director of non-violence programs, said.

College campuses are required by federal law to provide this kind of training under the Campus SaVE Act, according to Jones. “Think About It” informs students about how alcohol and other drugs can make a student vulnerable to sexual assault, as well as campus policies concerning stalking, harassment and interpersonal violence as well sexual violence in order to meet this requirement.

Campus SaVE is an amendment to the federal Jeanne Clery Act, passed in 1990, according to Jones.

According to the Jeanne Clery Act website, the original act is meant to have universities provide their students with statistics and policies regarding alcohol and other substances use and sexual assault in clear, uniform format.

Jones said that the amendment expands the Jeanne Clery Act by requiring universities to not only provide these statistics, but also provide programs to increase awareness and encourage prevention.

“One in five women and one in 16 men experience sexual violence,” Jones said. “We can do better.”

According to Jessica Haymaker, coordinator and advocate-educator for the office of student life, students under 22 years old or new to the campus took a version of the course that included alcohol and drug information as well as sexual violence.

Jones said that students 22 years old and older took a shorter course called “Think About It: Campus SaVE” that focused on sexual violence prevention. Another training option is available upon request from the K-State Center for Advocacy, Response and Education for those with concerns regarding the course material.

“(The optional course) is for individuals with concerns regarding the content,” Jenna Tripodi, K-State CARE coordinator said. “Especially individuals who have experienced gender-related violence.”

The optional course covers the same material as Think About It; however, it is designed for students who might find the content triggering. Tripodi said it is much shorter so as to not cause any triggering reactions for some students. K-State still requires this training course in order for students to stay informed.

“A safe and respectful campus is a good campus for everyone,” Jones said.

Students who did not complete the course by Monday had a hold placed on their account, preventing them from enrolling in classes in future semesters until the course is completed. Students have different reactions to the requirement.

“Some people need to hear this,” Blake Traylor, sophomore in mechanical engineering, said as he took the course.

Though Traylor said he agrees this course could be informative for some students, he feels that it is repetitive from other training courses he has taken.

Zach Williams, junior in mechanical engineering, had a similar opinion. Williams said he was “kind of annoyed” to have to make time to complete a course he felt he had done before.

“I’m just thinking ‘again?'” Traylor said.

Despite some animosity regarding “Think About It,” some have found parts of the course informative and according to Jones, the course has received high ratings from some students.

Kelsey Kendall
Hi everyone! I'm a senior in journalism and cultural anthropology. My favorite things are storytelling, coffee and meeting new people. In that order.