Students attend Week of Welcome activities fair, fire-juggling performance

0
1422

Students piled into K-State’s Student Union to attend the Week of Welcome activities fair, followed by a performance from A Different Spin’s fire tricksters on Thursday night.

From 6-8 p.m. students visited tables and booths of various clubs, groups and organizations to learn more about extracurricular activities and ways to get involved on campus. Many groups set up during the activities fair offered students interested in their organizations free parting favors, such as candy, pens or other small items.

Alexis Bruns, freshman in family studies and human services, said that while she enjoyed receiving a few small, free things, the welcome activities fair was also a good experience due to its service as a time to make personal social connections.

“It gets you involved in your first year at K-State, and I think that’s important,” said Bruns. “It’s a way to make new friends, and it gives you something to do besides homework because, of course, homework can be boring.”

this is an image
Students fill the K-State Union Grand Ballroom for the 2015 Union Expo and Activity Carnival on Aug. 27, 2015. (George Walker | The Collegian)

See more photos from the activities fair

The activities fair also included free fair food like funnel cakes and corndogs and campfire treats like roasted marshmallows and s’mores, along with chances to win prizes.

Post-activities fair, performers from A Different Spin, a company of fire jugglers based in Boston put on a show at Bosco Plaza.

This is the performers’ second time performing at K-State and just one of many the group will put on at colleges around the country. The performers from A Different Spin found performing for K-State students refreshing and fun.

“The energy a college audience has is so great,” Michael Mucciolo, A Different Spin performer, said. “Every new audience, or even an audience that’s seen us in a previous year, is always just excited for a different thing.”

this is an image
Andrew Insect, member of A Different Spin, blows fire in Bosco Plaza on Aug 27, 2015. Union Programming Council brought A Different Spin to K-State for the university’s Week of Welcome. (George Walker | The Collegian)

See more photos from the fire show

Embracing the spirit of the Week of Welcome activities fair, A Different Spin performer, Andrew Insect, said college life is something the fire-tossing group relates to, which is another reason they enjoy performing for student audiences.

“This is how we got our roots – as a college group performing for a college audience before we started touring around to other colleges in the area – so doing this for college students is a taste of home,” Insect said.

Directly following A Different Spin’s performance, a free showing of “Jurassic Park” was held just outside the Union.

Danielle Cook
Hey there! I'm Danielle Cook. I'm currently a freshman in journalism and mass communications. I live for telling true stories, so I hope to be doing it for the rest of my life. Luckily, I also live for late nights and early mornings – as long as there's coffee and I'm in good company.