Student Government Association senators have first meeting

1
456

Senators met for their first meeting of the year Thursday night in the Big 12 Room. The meeting centered around summer progress, intern program and updating senators on committee activity.

While the application to serve as an at-large member of a committee closed Thursday at 11:59 p.m., freshmen and sophomores at K-State can still apply to be members of the Student Governing Association intern program.

“The intern program is a great way for underclassmen to get involved because it really gives them a behind the scenes look at SGA without having to be elected,” Trenton Kennedy, intern coordinator and sophomore in entrepreneurship, said.

The application to be an SGA intern closes Sept. 15 at 6 p.m. Senators are also able to apply for several different committees on campus.

While senators had no previous or new business due to the start of a new semester, student body president Andy Hurtig, senior in accounting, gave senators an update on some of the work that was done throughout the summer.

Due to new buildings that are being built, some locations that had previously housed departments will become vacant. President Kirk Schulz, along with Hurtig, formed a task force to decide where certain things would be relocated to fill these vacancies once construction is completed.

In light of the new business building, the Arts and Sciences Dean’s office will move into Calvin Hall, along with several other departments. As a continuation of previous executive board’s, Hurtig announced that K-State will finally be centralizing tutoring in Holtz Hall and following Career and Employment Services moving to the newly constructed welcome center. In round two, they will decide what will be relocated into Nichols Hall.

Hurtig also announced that the six regent schools, in addition to Washburn University, have decided to focus on Lifeline 911, the medical amnesty policy, as the top priority for State Higher Ed Day. If they are able to get this legislation passed, it will be the first time a student advisory committee was able to pass a bill in the state legislature.

He also highlighted on the newly introduced sportsmanship pledge and urged senators to take it seriously and not just sign the paper and forget about it.

Student body vice president Joe Tinker, senior in psychology, gave senators an update on progress being made in the Open Textbook Initiative and said that they focused on several math and science courses to try to implement this process in but hope to see it spreading to all of campus soon.

Tinker also highlighted the K-State Student Union construction, saying they are in the process of deciding what food options will be selected. He also reminded senators that the K-State Student Union will still be open to the public throughout all stages of construction.

Jonathon Peuchen, governmental relations committee chair and sophomore in mechanical engineering, announced that his committee will soon be deciding how to recommend the $600,000 in the City-University Fund that will be spent improving the Manhattan and K-State area. Governmental relations will also be hosting a voter registration drive on Sept. 22.

SGA Week will be Nov. 2-6, according to Kylie Andres, student engagement committee chair and junior in communication studies.

John Garetson, K-State Student Union public service administrator, spoke to senators about the updates that have been done to the Union Recreation Center including the Wabash Cannon Bowl.