K-State sweeps Saturday’s matches

0
197
Junior outside hitter Brooke Sassin prepares to spike the ball during the Varney's Invitational against California on Sept. 4, 2015 in Bramlage Coliseum. (File Photo by Nathan Jones | The Collegian)

The Wildcat volleyball team ended their trip to Murfreesboro, Tennessee in dominating fashion, defeating Seattle University and Middle Tennessee State 3-0 in each contest.

Seattle was shut down offensively in the first set, with their hitting percentage only reaching .105 while producing eight errors. The Redhawks hung around K-State, but the Wildcats’ 15 kills would be enough to sit Seattle down 25-22.

Despite producing a season-high of 10 service errors, K-State was able to pull out a 25-20 victory in set two thanks to a .387 hitting percentage. The Wildcats finished off the sweep 25-23 in the third set, holding Seattle to a hitting percentage of .192 for the game.

With her eighth straight game with 10 kills or more, junior Brooke Sassin had a 10 kill and 11 dig double-double performance. Sophomore Bryna Vogel contributed with her fourth career double-double with 13 kills and 10 digs while junior Katie Brand added 36 assists to go along with 10 digs.

Freshman Alyssa Schultejans added 10 kills, while junior Katie Reininger had nine kills in the Wildcat’s 3-0 win.

Seattle senior Martina Samadan produced 13 kills on 18 total attacks, giving her a hitting percentage of .667. Samadan had three of Seattle’s six blocks in the game.

Ten hours later, K-State swung all of the momentum from their match against the Redhawks to dominate host team Middle Tennessee, 25-12 in the first set. The Wildcats reached a .406 hitting percentage in the first set and only committed one error.

Middle Tennessee was struggling with a .053 hitting percentage in the first and added eight errors in their first set wipeout.

The Blue Raiders slowed the Wildcats down offensively in the second set, with K-State only grabbing a hitting percentage of .267. Middle Tennessee’s seven errors cost them a defeat in the second 25-22.

Firing on all cylinders, Middle Tennessee hit for a .440 attacking percentage, committing three errors in the third set. Thanks to another stellar Sassin kill performance, the Wildcats were able to escape Murfreesboro by winning the third and final set 25-18, giving them the sweep.

The Wildcats only committed eight errors in the match and recorded a total of nine team blocks to add to a hitting percentage of .345 for the game.

Sassin finished with another double-double outing, producing 12 kills and 12 digs in K-State’s sixth straight win. Schultejans added eight kills with four service aces while Reininger added nine kills.

Chelsea Ross contributed 14 kills in the Blue Raider’s losing efforts, and Miri Shade added 11 kills in Middle Tennessee’s eighth loss of the season.

With the Wildcat’s sixth straight victory, K-State is tied for second in the conference with TCU. The University of Kansas holds the top spot in the conference at 9-0.

K-State travels to their final nonconference tournament next Friday in Omaha, Nebraska. The Wildcats are set to take on No. 11 Wisconsin Friday at 3:30 p.m. On Saturday, K-State has a match against Arkansas at 11 a.m., and on Sunday, the Wildcats will take on Creighton at 2 p.m. before they enter conference play.