#Hashtag: Police arrest Muslim teen after teachers mistake homemade clock for bomb

0
153

Freshman Ahmed Mohamed, 14, was suspended from MacArthur High School in Irving, Texas and arrested on Monday for bringing in what looked like a “hoax bomb.”

Actually, it was just an alarm clock he had built himself and brought in to show his teachers.

According to the KTXS article, “Muslim teen creates clock, shows teachers, gets arrested,” Mohamed wants to be an engineer, even an inventor, and often builds and tinkers at home.

The article also detailed that “The teen has never been in trouble before, the father said, saying confidently that he thinks this is a case of Islamophobia. ‘My son’s name is Mohamed — people just think Muslims are terrorists but we are peaceful, we are not that way.'”

It seems that McCarthy-level paranoia showed its ugly head at MacArthur High School.

But continual support for Mohamed has been outpouring, sparking numerous trending hashtags and words of encouragement.

Hi, I’m Jonathan. I graduate this December, majoring in Anthropology, with minors in Creative Writing and Political Science. After that … we’ll see. Maybe graduate school in environmental anthropology. Maybe I’ll finally pursue my old childhood dream of becoming an infomercial host. It’s up in the air. Some of my interests and hobbies include devout sports fanaticism, religious study, and composing country songs that serve to explain the unearthly amount of disdain I have for country music. My band’s called Catfish Hurricane, you should check us out. Well, actually, you shouldn’t. I love writing, which is how I accidentally stumbled into this job. This stumbling into good things is my plan for life in general.