Big 12 Power Rankings: Sooners rise to the top after big win

0
211
Senior wide receiver Curry Sexton (14) blocks as senior running back DeMarcus Robinson (20) weaves his way past Oklahoma defenders during the third quarter of the Wildcats' 31-30 defeat of the Sooners Saturday in Norman, Oklahoma. (File Photo by Parker Robb | The Collegian)

We have a new No. 1 in this week’s power rankings, and even the Longhorns have risen out of the bottom of the Big 12 as we venture into the last weekend of nonconference action.

1. Oklahoma (16) (2-0) Next: Tulsa

Look, the most impressive team with the most impressive win so far this season has been the Oklahoma Sooners. Although TCU and Baylor are ranked higher, they have yet to achieve success worthy enough to validate their ranking.

2. TCU (3) (2-0) Next: SMU

After their 70-7 victory against Stephen F Austin University, TCU faces cross-metroplex rival SMU in a battle for the Iron Skillet. TCU shouldn’t really face a challenge; however, until they travel to Texas Tech Sept. 26.

3. Baylor (5) (2-0) Next: BYE

Last week was another weak opponent and another blowout victory. It will be interesting to see if the Baylor Bears can keep up the high quality of play once they venture into Big 12 play where the goal to remain undefeated will be much tougher.

4. K-State (NR) (2-0) Next: Louisiana Tech

Among the nation’s leaders in rushing defense, the Wildcats face their toughest test of the season yet as they match up with high-octane Louisiana Tech on Saturday.

5. Oklahoma State (25) (2-0) Next: UT-San Antonio

In regards to teams ranked fourth, fifth and sixth, you can place any of them in any of those three spots. They will more than likely have the biggest impact on the conference race starting next week when conference play begins.

6. West Virginia (NR) (2-0) Next: BYE

If you think the Wildcats have a rough conference stretch to start the conference slate, here’s what West Virginia has to deal with: Oklahoma, Baylor, Oklahoma State and TCU. We’ll know a lot more about this Mountaineer team by the end of October.

7. Texas Tech (NR) (2-0) Next: At Arkansas

Slowly but surely the Red Raiders are making a claim to be a part of the group with K-State, Oklahoma State and West Virginia as serious threats to cause chaos within the Big 12. A win against Arkansas would make it official.

8. Texas (NR) (1-1) Next: Cal

Never a dull moment for the Longhorns: one week you get blown out by Notre Dame, and the next week you get your first win and fire your athletic director. Only in Texas can you be 1-1 and have as much drama as they do.

9. Iowa State (NR) (1-1) Next: Toledo

The Cyclones have to rebound after a second-half meltdown against Iowa this past weekend. Their next two games are very winnable; if not then the next few months in Ames will be very uncomfortable.

10. Kansas (NR) (0-2) Next: BYE

The Jayhawks have the weekend off; all of college football rejoices.